RE: [WestMichiganHams] Big News from NASA

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 13 10:23 AM
      The article I read said 'relatively new'.

      I guess it depends on how you define 'relatively new'.

      From Wiki:

      "The term "Software Defined Radio" was coined in 1991 by Joseph Mitola, who published the first paper on the topic in 1992"

      My how time flies.

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 13 2:04 PM
        The first of a 4 part series on SDR called "Software Defined Radio for the Masses"  was published in QEX back a few years ago.     Nyquist et al proposed and proved his theorem decades ago , Dan Tayloe invented  a detector to beat all detectors...(he is a ham from AZ, and his name is not misspelled).   Put the 2 together and you have the groundwork for a receiver with out of this world performance.     The Northern California QRP club or Norcal for short has excellent SDR  kits for those who want to get on board.  (pun intended).   I have been using an SDR radio for years  of course it's a Ten Tec, but don' leave out Elecraft, Flex and others.....Better yet, pick up a kit and build a SDR receiver or transceiver yourself.  You have half the battle already won, because if you are reading this email, you have a computer, which is where the software part comes from.   Try it, you'll like it........KV8X