For those of you who have worked HK0NA, Malpelo Island

  • K8TB
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 28, 2012
      If you have worked HK0NA, they now have a nice web page showing how
      to set up a DXpedition on a rock, and Malpelo is a rock.

      Have a look:

      http://69.89.25.185/~trexsoft/t-rexsoftware.com/hk0na/operating.htm

      Find the picture of the path to the high operating point "A" and look at
      what the walk is like.

      As a side note, they are using nothing but Elecraft K3's :)

      Sheila K8AJ and Tom K8TB
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 29, 2012
        On 1/28/2012 8:32 PM, K8TB wrote:

        > As a side note, they are using nothing but Elecraft K3's :)

        Big deal. That is because they are so expendable.
        No one would take a real rig out there.

        ;-)

        ======================== K8JHR =================
      • NA8M
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 29, 2012
          OK, I'll bite, what's a "real rig?"

          I liked one ham's observation that the guys on Malpelo are making such a sacrifice in their accommodation, personal safety, time, and hardship. So the local DXer can whine that he hasn't worked the DX from the comfort of his shack in pleasant surroundings with known propagation, assets, spotting support, and very little effort, on six bands, three modes, and insurance QSOs. While the guys on Malpelo are scaling mountains, eating the equivalent of C Rations, sleeping on a ledge, carrying their entire food and water needs for two days at a time. I'd guess the only "good" thing is the land crabs don't climb to the highest point where they can harass the humans.

          I, for one, am in awe. It's inspiring. And, NO, I'm not accepting an invitation to a campout.

          de Bill, NA8M

          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 29, 2012
            Oh... please don't bite on this one ! I routinely give Tom a
            huge hard time on any topic... and I mean nothing serious about it.
            I do NOT want to start any "Rig Wars" ...

            Thanks for letting me off the hook ! ;-)

            ======================= K8JHR =====================

            On 1/29/2012 8:10 PM, NA8M wrote:

            > OK, I'll bite, what's a "real rig?"

          • Al Pepping
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 30, 2012
              Real radios????    TT's  if you're a CW op.    Receiver performance is fabulous.    Finest sounding radios on the market......And TT service is second to none.........and I'll be happy to tell you why from my own personal experience. If you would like....
                       ...KV8X

              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 30, 2012
                I have a TT Omni VII and Centurion linear, a TT RX-320D, Model 715
                processor, and some TT receivers.

                What do you have?

                ======================== James -- K8JHR ===================

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 30, 2012
                  Also checked your QRZ photo.....nice shack to be sure, absolutely coolest piece of gear is the 320 TT receiver......and where did you get that awesome corner desk and shelving?????

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 30, 2012
                    Thanks for the kind words.

                    Desk is comprised of two shells, with three drawer modules underneath.
                    Desktops are huge... 36 x 72 inches, so I have lots of space for the
                    rigs, AND for doing paperwork, etc.

                    I made the shelving you see on top in my workshop - mostly from high
                    grade pine and some from vinyl-clad pre-fab shelving material. Easy to
                    work with, and cheap, looks like wood, and did I mention, is cheap?
                    The shelves are mounted on heavy support brackets, and are 1.23 inches
                    from the wall, so cables and plugs can easily pass behind them. The
                    heavy steel shelf brackets hold hundreds of pounds, and are anchored in
                    studs. The radio stands are made from the same stuff, custom, by
                    myself, and the Omni VII is on a 15% tilt, so I can see the screen
                    easier. I am working on re-doing the whole desk riser mess, and
                    incorporating 15% tilted shelves for both transceivers. That's the next
                    phase.

                    I purchased the desk shells from Kentwood Office furniture on Breton
                    Road (Between 28th and 32d Streets) in Grand Rapids. They can make
                    them to order if you like, or sometimes they have them made up. They
                    made me a shelf of the same top laminate to make the surface larger, so
                    did not have to overlap them all the way, giving me even more top space
                    than normally the case. They would be fairly easy to make in the
                    workshop if you had a large table saw.

                    There are multi outlet power strips on the wall just below the desk top
                    for the rigs to use.

                    More than you asked for... but that's the deal.

                    Happy days. ------------------- James - K8JHR --------------------

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 31, 2012
                      Thanks Jim...None of the ham periodicals do articles on furniture to set your station up.  We see there really nice stations, they go into detail on equipment when in actuality, its the beauty of the furniture the gear is setting on the really sets off the look of the station.   Quality furniture is not cheap, but if you want that class AA station you have to have it.   Thanks again for the info.....   KV8X

                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 1, 2012
                        BFD... they are using MFJ Tuners, also... and can you tell me
                        whether or not they purchased those rigs, or had them donated
                        to the cause ?

                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 1, 2012
                          Thanks, again, for the really kind words. Good luck
                          with your project.

                          I had never really considered it before you mentioned it,
                          but YES the publications rarely do much about station
                          construction or components other than the radios and
                          their accessories.

                          Maybe we need to write one ! ;-)