Re: [WestMichiganHams] QSL card art exhibit

  • jfischer@azulstar.com
    Message 1 of 8 , May 7 11:17 AM
      >Mark the book hello world is a very good read I recived it as a christmas
      gift from my xyl anybody the gets a chance to read it will better
      understand the art of QSL card collecting. 73 John KC8UNY

      The following article was from 2003 but it mentions something I never

    • Dennis Harriss
      Message 2 of 8 , May 7 3:37 PM
        At least one copy of this book is at Barnes & Noble on Harvey St.  It is in the Science - Electronics section.  If they are out they will order a copy for you and it should only take about a week.

        Denny  N8CTT
        18:36

      • jtporritt@netscape.com
        Message 3 of 8 , May 7 8:07 PM
          Nice Read.

[...]

          Netscape. Just the Net You Need.
        • Bill Fries
          Message 4 of 8 , May 8 6:02 AM

            Linda got this book from the library.  The various libraries share their collection and you can generally order a copy of a book on line.  Cheaper?

            This was a very good book and quite interesting.

            I have heard a rumor of an historically important QSL card, the MAARC, and a presentation all mentioned in the same sentence.  Just a rumor, though!

            Not necessarily a QSL card but Bob, KC8VTX found his father's call sign from the 1920s.  9AUY or something like that.  Fascinating.  Next challenge?  Get a QSL card from his father?

            Great fun!

            Bill, AB8SC

          • Bill Fries
            Message 5 of 8 , May 8 6:12 AM

              We have kicked around a "QSL Card of the Month" article in Flashovers.  Maybe the time is right?

              I sure have had fun chasing some DX and the ensuing card.  Some more difficult than others, for sure.

              Bill, AB8SC

            • Gary Lauff
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 18, 2006
                Hi, Just read your email, RE: QSL Cards. I am curious, you said you design your own QSL cards, and have a half a dozen versions. What computer program are you using to design the QSL cards with, and how do you like it? Would you use different software if you could? which program would that be? Why? How do you print out the finished version, QSL cards? Are they on thick, stiff glossy stock? Please expound.
                73,
                Gary Lauff KD8AZM

                K8MHZ <k8mhz@...> wrote:
[...]

                Do you Yahoo!?

                Groups are talking. We’re listening. Check out the handy changes to Yahoo! Groups.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 19, 2006
                  Hi Gary,

                  There are different programs that can be used.  A card mill like QSL maker is pretty easy and a good place to start.  I am using PhotoShop for my designs.  There really is not a better program than PhotoShop.  Right now I am using Walgreens to print out the cards if I want glossys.  They print 4 x 6s for 19 cents.  I have my designs on the Walgreens server and just order them on line as I need them and pick them up in 45 minutes or so.  Walgreens uses Fuji photo paper.  I also have some low resolution designs I print on pre-stamped USPS post cards.  Those I print here on an Epson Photo printer.  If I want a really super quality I use Epson Luster E paper in my Epson printer with OEM Epson ink.  So far the results are as good as or better than having them commercially printed.  Using OEM Epson products is not cheap, but provides very, very good results.

                  For the text I use a program called Logo Maker that has hundreds of different fonts.  I also have a disc of 1200 fonts that I have not explored yet.  When using programs of this nature it is important that they have an export feature.  PhotoShop works with many different file extensions but not all.  The text generators often have proprietary file extensions that have to be rendered and exported to a usable file type.

                  I hope that answers your question.

                  73 and happy QSLing,