QST QST - Attention all hams - 10 Metre Contest this weekend!

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 6, 2011
      *See http://www.arrl.org/10-meter for details

      Note that both SSB and CW are usable, so it's not only for the Corn
      Whiskey aficionados, folks who love Silly Sideband are welcome! (Note
      the equal comment about CW and SSB, so you all may either be p.o.'ed at
      my crassness, or smile at the comment. :)

      Note 2: Technician licensees have a portion of 10 metres allocated for
      their use., therefore, there's no excuse that "I don't have HF privileges"

      Note 3: Furthermore, 10 metres is generally useful only whilst the sun
      shines (maybe an hour or two before and after, but now a daze, at least,
      generally not useful at nighttime) so night owls are not needed.

      Note 4: If you don't have a HF rig, why don't you arrange for your
      local club, or a neighboring ham, to operate multi-operator? I know of
      several clubs, some of which have excellent locations, but I haven't
      heard whether they'll be operating. I'm 99.44% sure that most will
      welcome "newbies" to join the fray at their club station if it is in
      operation. Whatsay, local clubs? Why not advertise your availability
      for such an event?

      Note 5: There's two "freebie" logging programmes with which I'm
      familiar, both run on Windows XP or later. First is W3KM's "general
      logger" available at
      http://www.qsl.net/w3km/
      It is a basic programme, easily set up, with all basic logging
      function. Rather intuitive to use.

      The other is N1MM, available from http://www.n1mm.com.. It has all the
      bellzandwhistles any "die hard" contester would like and need. It's
      major problem is that there are so many bellzandwhistles that there is a
      rather steep learning curve in setting it up and operating with it.

      If you decide to log by hand, there's help with entry. You MAY send it
      a paper log. BUT, W3KM has a "Post contest" entry mode, which allows
      you to set the date on your computer to the date when the contest was
      held, and then asks you to enter the time of the contact along with
      other contact information.
      Or,
      http://www.b4h.net/cabforms
      is an online entry form. It's major disadvantage is that you may NOT
      save the log info you entered, so if there are any problemmes with
      submission to the contest robot, you have a major problem.

      When is the 10 metre contest, you ask? Second full weekend of
      December. Starts 0000 UTC Saturday; ends 2359 UTC Sunday (December 10 -
      11, 2011) - that's 7 p.m. Friday EST, to 7 p.m. Sunday EST. One may
      operate no more than 36 hours out of the 48-hour period, but propagation
      will probably limit that anyway. "Probably but not absolutely" there
      won't be much doing until daylight Saturday, so folks probably won't
      make many contacts until Saturday morning.

      What say, anyone for 10 Metre ARRL contest?

      73 de n8xx Hg*
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 6, 2011
        Nice post, Hank.

        On 12/6/2011 12:54 PM, Hank Greeb wrote:

        about working 10 meters....