Re: [WestMichiganHams] Special Event Station White River Light House USA885

  • Todd Sprinkmann
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2011
      I typed the reply below and then notice that this lighthouse
      activation has already taken place, apparently. Guess that
      Yahoo is holding on to messages a bit too long, heheh.

      All the same, I'm going to pass along my message. It's
      important to know a few rules of the road with respect to
      where you use FM and SSB on the 2 meter band.

      >> May I gently suggest your 144.220 activity should use SSB?
      You don't want to be doing FM on the SSB portion of 2m.

      If you want the FM'ers to find you on simplex, try something
      near 146.520. Say 146.550 or 146.580. That'll get you more
      FM'ers (who typically use vertically-polarized antennas).

      If you want action from the SSB types, (who typically use
      horizontally-polarized antennas) then you'll want to be on/near
      144.220.

      If possible, use both modes and see what's more effective.

      144.200 is the call freq. on 2m SSB. It might pay to put a
      call out on 144.200, make your special event announcement
      and say that you are listening up on 144.220.
      Activity on 144.200 is a good thing; you just want to avoid
      monopolizing it, or having long ragchews there. Especially when
      2m SSB is open or busy.

      You won't make many friends using FM in the SSB portion
      of 2m. Just saying... :) Nor would I make many friends if I
      brought up your local repeater using SSB!!

      73,
      Todd KC9BQA EN63ao 40 N of Milwaukee
      www.kc9bqa.com For Frequent VHF/UHF Updates
      www.wivuch.com WI VHF/UHF County Hunters Award