Special Event Station White River Light House USA885

  • kc8pcj
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 20, 2011
      W8ZHO is putting the White River light house in Whitehall, USA885 on the air Sunday October 23, from 10 AM to 6 PM
      Special event Call is W8L

      We will be on or near the following frequencies.
      146.940 R
      144.220 FM Simplex

      28.335    Phone
      21.05      CW
      21.335    Phone
      14.050    CW
      14.335    Phone
      7.050      CW
      7.275      Phone
      3.925      Phone
      Anyone wishing to help log or operate or just come out to visit are welcome.

      73s
      Jim
      KC8PCJ
      In God I Trust.
    • Todd Sprinkmann
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2011
        I typed the reply below and then notice that this lighthouse
        activation has already taken place, apparently. Guess that
        Yahoo is holding on to messages a bit too long, heheh.

        All the same, I'm going to pass along my message. It's
        important to know a few rules of the road with respect to
        where you use FM and SSB on the 2 meter band.

        >> May I gently suggest your 144.220 activity should use SSB?
        You don't want to be doing FM on the SSB portion of 2m.

        If you want the FM'ers to find you on simplex, try something
        near 146.520. Say 146.550 or 146.580. That'll get you more
        FM'ers (who typically use vertically-polarized antennas).

        If you want action from the SSB types, (who typically use
        horizontally-polarized antennas) then you'll want to be on/near
        144.220.

        If possible, use both modes and see what's more effective.

        144.200 is the call freq. on 2m SSB. It might pay to put a
        call out on 144.200, make your special event announcement
        and say that you are listening up on 144.220.
        Activity on 144.200 is a good thing; you just want to avoid
        monopolizing it, or having long ragchews there. Especially when
        2m SSB is open or busy.

        You won't make many friends using FM in the SSB portion
        of 2m. Just saying... :) Nor would I make many friends if I
        brought up your local repeater using SSB!!

        73,
        Todd KC9BQA EN63ao 40 N of Milwaukee
        www.kc9bqa.com For Frequent VHF/UHF Updates
        www.wivuch.com WI VHF/UHF County Hunters Award

        W8ZHO is putting the White River light house in Whitehall, USA885 on the
        air Sunday October 23, from 10 AM to 6 PM
        Special event Call is W8L

        We will be on or near the following frequencies.
        146.940 R
        144.220 FM Simplex

        28.335 Phone
        21.05 CW
        21.335 Phone
        14.050 CW
        14.335 Phone
        7.050 CW
        7.275 Phone
        3.925 Phone
        Anyone wishing to help log or operate or just come out to visit are
        welcome.

        73s
        Jim
        KC8PCJ
        In God I Trust.
        If there no Light at the end of the tunnel, Just march right down there
        and turn it on.