Re: National E.A.S. Test - Nov 9th @ 2pm

  • heavyfistcharlie24
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 22, 2011
      "If this had been an actual emergency, you would have been directed to assume the emergency position, placing your head firmly between your knees...", (and kiss your butt goodbye!) "We now return control of your TV back to you."
      Let's hope we never have to go through one of these national emergencies. I remember when I was in elementary school, (the last century, in the early to mid 1950's), the schools had drills in case of an atomic bomb attack, you were supposed to take cover under your desk or go up against a solid exterior wall that didn't have windows, or the windows were high up. Oh yeah, that was a good plan. If you have seen those historical photos and film footage of Hiroshima and Nagasaki that got bombed in WWII, or the film footage of atomic bomb tests, your desk or that school building wall wouldn't have done you much good. Of course, maybe they made the desks and school building walls stronger back in those days. <grin>

      - Scott KD8FXF -

      -----------------------------------

      --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, "Tom VanderMel" <kb8vee@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > The first nationwide test of the Emergency Alert System (EAS) will take
      > place on November 9, 2011 at 2 p.m. (Eastern Standard Time).
      >
      > ALL RADIO AND TELEVISION STATIONS MUST PARTICIPATE IN THE NATIONAL EAS
      > TEST.
      >
      > The test will be conducted by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security
      > Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the Federal Communications
      > Commission (FCC). The test will start at approximately 2 p.m. (Eastern
      > Standard Time) and may last up to three and a half minutes.
      >
      > The purpose of the test is to help government organizations and EAS
      > Participants (radio and TV broadcast stations, cable operators and
      > satellite radio and TV) to determine the reliability of the EAS system. It
      > is not a "pass-fail" exercise. However, the first National EAS Test will
      > serve as a benchmark for measuring the effectiveness of the EAS system,
      > and for improvements in the EAS system going forward. FEMA and the FCC
      > intend to conduct National EAS Tests on an annual basis (although not
      > always on November 9).
      >
      > Broadcasters are the "backbone" of the EAS system. It is critical that
      > radio and television stations put their best foot forward during the test.
      > Therefore, all radio and television stations should prepare in advance for
      > the National EAS Test.

      > Greetings,
      > This test will not affect us at all, but knowing that it is taking
      > place could be good information to have. It appears that citizens will
      > see a crawler go across their TV screens, or hear the typical break-in
      > alert on broadcast radio, and think nothing of it. Samples of those
      > pre-recorded alerts are available on the webpage listed below.
      >
      > Note that this test has NEVER been performed nation wide before now.
      > Smaller local and regional tests have taken place, but never has such a
      > wide-scale test taken place.
      >
      > For the whole article, see:
      > http://www.nab.org/documents/advocacy/EAS/EAS.asp
      >
      > For a video message from James Barnett, Chief, FCC's Public Safety and
      > Homeland Security Bureau:
      > http://www.nab.org/documents/landingPages/barnett_fcc.asp
      >
      > Enjoy!
      > --- Jay Nugent WB8TKL
      >
      > () ascii ribbon campaign in
      > /\ support of plain text e-mail
      >
      > "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest
      > reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a
      > last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"--
      > Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
      > | Jay Nugent jjn@... (734)484-5105 (734)649-0850/Cell |
      > | Nugent Telecommunications [www.nuge.com] |
      > | Internet Consulting/Linux SysAdmin/Engineering & Design/ISP Reseller |
      > | ISP Monitoring [www.ispmonitor.org] ISP & Modem Performance Monitoring |
      > | Web-Pegasus [www.webpegasus.com] Web Hosting/DNS Hosting/Shell Accts|
      > 00:01:01 up 46 days, 5:39, 5 users, load average: 0.01, 0.03, 0.00

    • Mark
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 22, 2011
        Wow, that brings back memories!

        We had to go out into the hall and sit on the floor with our backs against our lockers and hold a book over our heads.

        I'm not making that up!  We really had to do that.

        As far as how strong school building walls are, I can tell you from building schools that schools are built like fortresses.

        K8MHZ