Re: Old programs can act like spyware

  • Scott Pawlowski
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 21, 2006
      Mark,

      I have had problems similar to that with other programs,
      particularly Norton Antivirus. I tried removing it from my machine
      this past June when I got broadband and wanted to start using
      ZoneAlarm Security Suite for my antivirus software. It ended up
      corrupting the registry, so I ended up wiping the drive and starting
      over again. Up to that point I have never been a fan of doing that,
      but now must say it is true that the machine will run much better
      once it is done. Also, I no longer believe in backing up my data on
      optical. Instead, I went out and bought an external internal hard
      drive enclosure kit and a new internal drive and periodically back
      up all of my music, photos, and other personal stuff I don't want to
      lose. I have found this to be the answer to a lot of problems.
      Hard drive backup is more reliable than optical backup, plus, since
      I have 3 machines, I can take the drive from computer to computer
      and do file transfers and backups. I haven't set up home networking
      because every person I know who has has had a nightmare with it.

      Scott
      KD8CMK

      --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, "K8MHZ" <k8mhz@k...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > After fighting with a difficult problem with my computer I would
      like to share some information.

      > The problem I was having was intermittent. My computer's Internet
      access would just stop. No error codes or nothing. Sometimes it
      would just start up again, but more often than not I would have to
      re-boot.

      > The problem turned out to be part of a program, MusicMatch, that I
      thought I had un-installed. The part left wanted to check the
      Internet for updates, but was damaged when I removed MusicMatch.
      What was happenning was that this broken part of MusicMatch was
      taking over my Internet connection but could do nothing more and
      just sat there, blocking anything else from happenning.

      > I found it by locating a scheduler file, mmtask.tsk, that would
      appear under system information but not in the add/remove window.

      > Since this was not spyware nor a virus, it was not detected by any
      software.

      > I would hazard to guess that this could happen with other programs
      as well. I think the tell tale sign would be that the problem
      exists after many updates of the best spyware and virus protection
      out is run.