Re: 462.5625

  • NA8M
    Message 1 of 16 , May 24, 2011
      Garbage on FRS? A story:

      Linda, WA8M and I were in Annapolis on a busy weekend. It was before we were hams, or were newly minted hams. I had a pair of FRS rigs. Cheap stuff.

      We fired up the radios, called each other, and were Immediately and Rudely admonished to "GET OFF MY FREQUENCY!!!"

      Was that the one and only time I every tried FRS? I don't know, and I'm not going back There!

      Bill, NA8M
    • Mark
      Message 2 of 16 , May 24, 2011
        Bill,

        Did either of you say 'QRL' before you called each other?

        ;)

        They do have their uses.  They were great to use at constructon sites.  Each trade had a channel.  If I wanted to mess with....er contact a pipe fitter I would go on their channel and talk to them.  There were only two of us control electricians on the last job and we got real good at comunicating just by pushing the PTT and making the radio beep.  That was handy when we were pulling wire and could reach down and hit the PTT on our belt mounted HT instead of actually having to tallk.

        Now, since you used 'frequency' instead of 'channel' that leads me to believe you were being admonished by a fellow ham. Had you realized that at the time you could have had some fun.  Since he was likely a ham, he likely was using a 440 rig that had been opened up.  Now, you are a fairly sly fellow when provoked and I'll bet you could have convinced him that he was more than a few kc off and if his display was reading the correct frequency for the intended channel, a re-alignment was likely in order.  Let him slide up or down to the point than you can barely understand him and then tell him he has a perfect signal and to make whatever internal adjustment is needed to compensate for the difference in frequencies.

        Terrible, ain't I?

        mhz

        Message 3 of 16 , May 24, 2011
          Funny story, Bill. Too bad.

          But it is a self-inflicted wound.

          You COULD have moved to another frequency, and used one of the "privacy"
          codes, and I doubt the guy would have been able to follow you there, or
          would have bothered to do so in any case. If you let him run you
          off... well... that was your choice.

          They only go about a mile or so, so I doubt you would get much
          interference in another setting. I sure would not let one rube run me
          off. My wife and I use these little radios all the time... when we
          drive two cars, or when we separate at the mall, or the circus, or at a
          convention, etc. It is a self-inflicted wound if you let one guy run
          you off like that.

          My MINI Cooper driving club uses them all the time. We can get more
          than 30 cars in a caravan and they are very helpful in keeping everyone
          together. Never had a problem with interference and we drive a lot.

          Not that it could not happen, but with such a short range, shoot, they
          gotta drive as fast as we do to interfere with us ! And I assure
          you... that is NOT easy !

          ------------------
          Happy Trails.
          ======================= Richards / K8JHR =========================

          Message 4 of 16 , May 24, 2011
            Oh.... goodness, Mark...
            I guess it IS more fun to be wicked than good !

            ------------------
            Happy Trails.
            ======================= Richards / K8JHR =========================

            On 5/24/2011 11:02 PM, Mark wrote:

            Let him slide up or down to the point than you can
            > barely understand him and then tell him he has a perfect signal and to
            > make whatever internal adjustment is needed to compensate for the
            > difference in frequencies.

            > Terrible, ain't I?
          • Patrick
            Message 5 of 16 , May 24, 2011
              This why we have Ham Radio. FRS = modern day CB

              Message 6 of 16 , May 25, 2011
                QRL? Nope. Guilty as charged. I guess I was at fault.

                I'll stick to ham radio. Well, stick to those "haunts" that are not too dirty. I don't need the filth on seventy-five meters.

                Bill, NA8M
                Message 7 of 16 , May 25, 2011
                  Amen to that !

                  ------------------
                  Happy Trails.
                  ======================= Richards / K8JHR =========================

                  Message 8 of 16 , May 25, 2011
                    I get your point, but after being an avid and frequent user of these
                    radios (I have six of them) for the past several years, I cannot accept
                    the claim it is like CB radio.

                    I have used these all over the country - and in Canada - and have
                    encountered nothing like what is claimed in this thread, certainly not
                    like what happens on CB radio. My own experience belies these claims.
                    We use these all the time... at car shows, at shopping malls, at
                    conventions, on the road while driving separate cars, out in the yard
                    like an intercom, and nary any problems.

                    Of course... you mileage may vary considerably... but this is not my
                    experience.

                    ------------------
                    Happy Trails.
                    ======================= Richards / K8JHR =========================

                    Message 9 of 16 , May 25, 2011
                      So, just for grins, when was the last time or two you listened on CB radio? My last time was decades ago. What's changed? I dunno and I'm not goin' back to CB.

                      I appreciate the ham community's dedication to keeping their bands clean and "family friendly" for everyone. If I can't say it to my Mom, I won't say it on the air.

                      My recollection of being admonished to "GET OFF MY RADIO!!" by a jerk maybe five years or more back soured me on FRS. Maybe an isolated incident? Maybe. Not likely. And I don't care enough to find out. So, that's good for the FRS as there's one less guy to clog up the channels.

                      I worked hard for my ham license and I'm not jeopardizing it to be verbally abusive to a stranger. Every ham is a potential friend.

                      Bill, NA8M
                    • Mark
                      Message 10 of 16 , May 25, 2011
                        When I was teaching my first Tech class (2005 or so) I had a student that was wrapped up in CB.  He lived close so one night we got on the CB radio and tried to talk.

                        We immediately were the target of a jammer.  Of course, since my student and I were so close, it didn't work.  The jammer actually threatened us with physical  harm because we refused to buckle.  That same person was heard threatening other people, too.  Also, the channel was wrought with vulgarity and splatter from illegal amps on adjacent channels.

                        CB has proven itself to me to be a sub-optimal consideration.

                        Message 11 of 16 , May 25, 2011
                          Oh, I almost forgot.....

                          At one of the March of Dimes events we tried to compare CB with 2m.  We had one station at Richard's Park and another at the pavillion.  We only were on the air for a couple minutes before we were being jammed on CB.  BTW,  2m was far superior, no question.

                          mhz

                          Message 12 of 16 , May 25, 2011
                            Well... CB is CB ... I listen to it all the time. It is a mixed bag.
                            Sometimes there is no one on the air... other times there are young guys
                            and truck drivers talking... and yet still other times, there is some
                            ignorant yahoo yelling int a reverberation/echo microphone on a rig with
                            an illegal amp splattering filth and racial and political invectives all
                            over the place. It takes and gets all kinds, I guess. Good when it's
                            good, and really bad when its bad.

                            The fact some guy hounded you on FRS is 1) an isolated single
                            incident, and hardly the stuff an argument against all FRS is made of,
                            and 2) there are lots of folks on FRS who are as friendly as hams - I
                            might be one of them ! I am sure there are jerks and weirdos on FRS
                            out there... but I have not found them, and when I do, I will quickly
                            QSY to another channel and privacy code.

                            I would, however, just love to get hold of the product test criteria
                            where they rate them for range mileage. They must put one up on Mt
                            Baldy, right on the ocean, and put the other one on a boat way out in
                            the ocean, in a direct line of sight, and measure the weakest signal
                            possible, because I sure cannot believe anyone is talking 35 miles on
                            one - even though they can have up to 5 watts ! No way !! Only in
                            fantasy land would that work.

                            I do agree the ham community is a pretty reliable, and pretty decent
                            bunch of folk. We are pretty much self-policing and that says a lot.

                            Happy days to ya.

                            Message 13 of 16 , May 25, 2011
                              Nicely said, Mark.

                              Happy Trails.