Re: [WestMichiganHams] Re: New poll for WestMichiganHams

  • Mark
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 20, 2011
      Joe,

      "Linex" is a pronunciation of 'Linux' used predominantly in the Great Lake State and other locales that consider venison a delicacy.  Even if it is the product of a car vs. deer report so long as the tenderloins are still intact.  Researchers and other reliable sources have found that since said use was not typical of northern dialects (two syllable words are usually broken into two distinct sounds as oppose to a single, but more complex sound), it has been concluded that use of the term is used as a form of aural brevity, which is an integral part of efficient communications due to it's long track record of saving lives.

      Aural brevity was a very important part of some of my formal emergency communications training.  I learned  all this from the best  teachers many years ago in a class given by Muskegon Central Dispatch.

      Now you know.

      Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2011 6:06 PM
      Subject: Re: [WestMichiganHams] Re: New poll for WestMichiganHams

      Also, what's "linex" anyway? Never heard of that one before...

      -Joe, N8FQ