New poll for WestMichiganHams

  • WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 19, 2011
      WestMichiganHams group:

      I need some help in determine how many hams know and use linex compared to widows for an operating system were the use it and make changes to there programs and excess to there hardware.

      o I use windows and make my own changes
      o I use Linex and make my own changes
      o I use both and make my own changes to both
      o I use both and make my own changes to both
      o I use windows and have someone else make the changes
      o I use linex and have someone else make the changes
      o I feel I can handle most problems I run into working on a computer running windows
      o I feel I can handle most problems I run into working on a computer running windows

      web site listed above.

      Thanks!
    • Dennis Harriss

        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 20, 2011
          Thanks for the heads up on the poll ...I did change it I think it is good now ...if you could please vote again as when I changed it ... it was reset .... thanks again ..73 Don

          Donald Meyer - KB8ODB

          Assistant Coordinator of volunteers of  North Ottawa Amateur Radio Club Working with Public Safety to make a safer community in the Ferrysburg, Grand Haven and Spring Lake Area

          EOC Assistant Amateur Radio in Ottawa County

          e-mail:kb8odb@...

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 20, 2011
            What? No Mac?

            --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com wrote:

            > WestMichiganHams group:
            >
            > I need some help in determine how many hams know and use linex compared to widows for an operating system were the use it and make changes to there programs and excess to there hardware.
            >

            > o I use windows and make my own changes
            > o I use Linex and make my own changes
            > o I use both and make my own changes to both
            > o I use both and make my own changes to both
            > o I use windows and have someone else make the changes
            > o I use linex and have someone else make the changes
            > o I feel I can handle most problems I run into working on a computer running windows
            > o I feel I can handle most problems I run into working on a computer running windows

            > web site listed above.
            >
            > Thanks!

          • Don Meyer

              > I need some help in determine how many hams know and use linex compared to widows for an operating system were the use it and make changes to there programs and excess to there hardware.
              >

              > o I use windows and make my own changes
              > o I use Linex and make my own changes
              > o I use both and make my own changes to both
              > o I use both and make my own changes to both
              > o I use windows and have someone else make the changes
              > o I use linex and have someone else make the changes
              > o I feel I can handle most problems I run into working on a computer running windows
              > o I feel I can handle most problems I run into working on a computer running windows

              > web site listed above.
              >
              > Thanks!

            • Alan Beagley
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 20, 2011
                Wot? No eComStation? -- the still-alive-and-being-improved OEM version
                of "the operating system for which Windows was intended to be merely a
                placeholder." No viruses known to exist outside a lab. Had support for
                64 CPUs well over a decade ago.*

                Alan NV8A

                *That's OS/2, which started as a joint project by IBM and Microsoft but
                was then sabotaged by Microsoft, which wanted quick-and-dirty rather
                than done-right.

                On 03/20/11 02:52 pm, ke8fo wrote:
                > What? No Mac?
                >
                > --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com wrote:
                >>

                >> Enter your vote today! A new poll has been created for the
                >> WestMichiganHams group:
                >>
                >> I need some help in determine how many hams know and use linex compared to widows for an operating system were the use it and make changes to there programs and excess to there hardware.
                >>

                >> o I use windows and make my own changes
                >> o I use Linex and make my own changes
                >> o I use both and make my own changes to both
                >> o I use both and make my own changes to both
                >> o I use windows and have someone else make the changes
                >> o I use linex and have someone else make the changes
                >> o I feel I can handle most problems I run into working on a computer running windows
                >> o I feel I can handle most problems I run into working on a computer running windows
                >>

                >> To vote, please visit the following web page:
              • Joe Veldhuis
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 20, 2011
                  Also, what's "linex" anyway? Never heard of that one before...

                  -Joe, N8FQ

                  • Mark
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 20, 2011
                      Joe,

                      "Linex" is a pronunciation of 'Linux' used predominantly in the Great Lake State and other locales that consider venison a delicacy.  Even if it is the product of a car vs. deer report so long as the tenderloins are still intact.  Researchers and other reliable sources have found that since said use was not typical of northern dialects (two syllable words are usually broken into two distinct sounds as oppose to a single, but more complex sound), it has been concluded that use of the term is used as a form of aural brevity, which is an integral part of efficient communications due to it's long track record of saving lives.

                      Aural brevity was a very important part of some of my formal emergency communications training.  I learned  all this from the best  teachers many years ago in a class given by Muskegon Central Dispatch.

                      Now you know.

                      Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2011 6:06 PM