Three Long-Range 2m SSB Nets to Choose From on Wed. March 9th

  • kc9bqa
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2011
      We're back to full strength with the weekly 2m SSB nets. You have options from SE MN, from Central WI and from Southern OH. Enjoy an aspect of VHF that few hams know much about. Read on for details.

      WB9LYH is in grid square EN54 (middle of WI) on 144.240, starting at 8pm eastern. Even those with limited antennas may well hear Mark; he has a 500w into stacked yagis on a hilltop QTH.
      K8TQK is back on the air, after having a stuck rotor for most of the winter. Look for Bob on 144.250, starting at 8:30pm eastern. K8TQK is in grid square EM89 (south of Columbus, OH) and has an enormous signal. I work him regularly on a 390 mile path, even with flat band conditions.
      KA0KYZ is on 144.230, from EN33 (far SE MN) near Rochester. Terry now starts up at 10pm eastern, so you night owls should listen in and say hello. Get in the habit of checking out this net because band conditions on VHF can improve as night sets in, especially during times of warmer weather.

      The hams who make contacts of 150, 200, even 400 miles on 2m SSB, use horizontally-polarized yagis up 30-40' or higher (shoot for at least 7 elements or more, on 10' or longer booms) along with low-loss feedline and at least 50w out, preferably 100-150w. Horizontal loops will also get you in the game, with somewhat reduced range.

      There's always more info about our weekly nets (plus other options on different days and bands) at my website. Think of kc9bqa.com as the VHF/UHF newspaper for the Midwest/Great Lakes. Read the paper for a few minutes a few times per week and you're up to speed.

      73,
      Todd KC9BQA EN63ao 40 N of Milwaukee
      www.kc9bqa.com For Frequent VHF/UHF Updates
      www.wivuch.com WI VHF/UHF County Hunters Award