RE: [WestMichiganHams] Digital network locally

  • Dave Lamer
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 28, 2006

      Skip,

      I have my JNOS station running on 145.070. It also is a BBS with outgoing telnet.

      We should get together and compare notes HI.

      73

      Dave

      Wa8rsa

      Telnet wa8rsa.no-ip.org

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 28, 2006
        I see you tried to connect on K8RRA-7 Dave,
        I've put the BBS on -1...

        Our configurations may be a bit different.
        I've not had the pleasure to connect to your node / I did not know it was a nos.
        Thanks for the response!

        I see from my trace files that you have been active for quite a while.
        I seldom hear you directly - mostly I hear others in contact with you.

        Comparing notes sounds like a heads-up idea.
        I look forward to the chance.

        On Fri, 2006-04-28 at 14:43 -0400, Dave Lamer wrote:
        Skip,

        I have my JNOS station running on 145.070. It also is a BBS with outgoing telnet.

        We should get together and compare notes HI.

        73

        Dave

        Wa8rsa

        Telnet wa8rsa.no-ip.org
        >SNIP<

        73
        de Skip k8rra k

      • Don LaBrenz
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 29, 2006
          George (Skip) VerDuin wrote:
[...]

          The station here has a Net-Node.  It's call sign is WB8I-2, but I do not seem to hear you direct.  I do not hear any other Net-Nodes in this area.(I do hear them

          from acrost the big lake).  I am still having trouble hearing Grand Rapids, I may hang another port on the system with a beem pointedin that direction.

          Who knows  I also notice that the last time I hear WA8RSA, I was hearing a non AMPR IP address.  It looked like it was a LAN  address.

          73 de Don, WB8I

          PS. Still looking forward to that cup  o' coffee
        • George (Skip) VerDuin
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 30, 2006
            Good morning Don,

            YES - let's share a coffee...
            Your call to set a time and place?

            I've visited your node several times in the past without appreciating the similarity.  After doing some web research this morning, I now believe your "net-node" should be compatible with my "net-rom" if our software authors have both been faithful to the standards.  To that end, I will configure my node to add your node as a neighbor.  Yes - I'll need to set a digi-path since our direct path is not 100% reliable...  I should know how well it works in a couple more days.

            My path to WA8RSE is not very reliable via RF either.  Also, I can not reach RSE via telnet from the command line, while I can reach RSE from telnet within jnos.  The bad news is that RSE rejects my login - his node seems to permit only pre-registered logins?  I expect to sort out his rules as he and I have further conversation.

            I also expect to improve my node's RF accessibility.  My plan is to raise the antenna another 20ft (+/-) and increase power from 30 to 100W.  It remains to be seen if it will reach the other side of the lake - today it does not.  Which opens another subject: what omni-directional antenna works best for digital networks?  I've been looking to build a loop for the purpose - but I can still change my mind with an eraser since it is not built yet...

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 30, 2006

              Hey Don and Skip,

              I would like to join in on the cup of coffee.

              73     Dave

              Wa8rsa