WEAVER'S WORDS -- Happy 2011

  • Tom VanderMel KB8VEE
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 3, 2011

       From Tom VanderMel KB8VEE Region 6 Emergency Coordinator/ RACES Officer
        231 206-0422 Cell and Text  E mail kb8vee@...

      Subject: WEAVER'S WORDS -- Happy 2011

      [Reply to k8je@...]

      - Happy New Year
      - Class Instructors can get Discounts on Materials
      - Division Legislative Action Chair Retires
      - New D-Star Net Begins
      - Sources of Inexpensive VHF/UHF Gear Coming?
      - FCC Publishes Rules on Vanity Call Signs and on RACES
      - Programming Help Wanted
      - Michigan Section Manager Election this Fall
      - Want an ARRL Membership Certificate and ID Card?
      - This Month's Final
      - Tentative Travel, Hamfest and Activity Schedule

      +++ Happy New Year +++

      I wish each of you and your families a very Happy New Year and the very
      best throughout 2011.

      I particularly wish to thank everyone who has contributed to Amateur
      Radio and ARRL this past year.  I hope that you will be able to
      continue your support as we make Amateur Radio and the League even
      stronger in the new year.

      At the risk of missing groups I wish to thank, I will list as many as I
      can think of off the top of my head.  Starting at the Section level I
      will identify all ARES (tm) members, Assistant ECs, ECs, DECs,
      Assistant SMs, the SMs, Volunteer Counsels, Volunteer Consulting
      Engineers and Official Observers.  Of course, I must not overlook the
      Volunteer Examiners who provide so much in giving licensing exams and
      the volunteer teachers who prepare candidates to take these exams.  For
      so many of us, QSL Letter Managers and the Incoming QSL Bureau Manager
      provide a tremendous service.  I will add to these each ARRL member and
      each official of each Affiliated Club.  Moving to the Division level, I
      thank representatives to Advisory Committees to the board, Assistant
      Directors and members of the Division Cabinet.

      Each of you is the true strength and make-up of Amateur Radio.  Each of
      you is the reason ARRL exists and each of you is the reason the rest of
      the Board of Directors and I, the ARRL Volunteer Officers and our HQ
      staff work hard to give you ever-improving service.  To the extent that
      we succeed in doing this, we are happy to have spent our time and effort
      for your benefit.  To the extent our efforts have fallen short I can say
      that we apologize and pledge to do better in this new year.

      If I have missed anyone who should have been included, I deeply
      apologize.

      I never cease to be amazed at the fervor with which amateurs approach
      our great avocation.

      +++ Class Instructors can get Discounts on Materials +++

      Are you a member of a club that sponsors Amateur Radio licensing
      classes?  Are a member of an instructor team that is not associated
      with a specific club?  Do you know you can receive discounts on ARRL
      publications used in teaching classes?  The basic discount is about 25%
      of retail price.  In addition, buy 15 books and receive 1 book free for
      the instructor.  On top of these perks, the books will be shipped at no
      charge.  So, what is the secret for receiving these benefits?  Simply be
      sure the leader of the team is registered as an ARRL instructor and is
      identified as such when the order is placed.

      "Why is it necessary for the team leader to be a registered
      instructor?" I asked the head of the League's Marketing Department.
      His reply was that this is to ensure the team is kept up-to-date on new
      and corrected information.  Information on the instructors' program and
      online registration as an ARRL instructor are at
      http://www.arrl.org/instructor-discount-program.

      Adding the 25% discount + no shipping fees + a free book/15 purchased +
      keeping the instructor up-dated is a pretty decent deal as I see it.  If
      I still remember 6th grade math, this all adds up to something on the
      order of a 35%+ discount on orders of about 15 to 25 books.

      +++ Division Legislative Action Chair Resigns +++

      John Meyers, NB4K has retired as Great Lakes Division (GLD) Legislative
      Action Chair (LAC) effective January 1.  As LAC, John coordinated a
      variety of activities associated with ARRL's national legislative
      effort.  John was most visible when managing the ARRL Legislative booth
      at the Dayton Hamvention (tm) and at several additional hamfests
      throughout the Division.  His principal task at these events was to
      arrange for members to send letters urging their legislators to support
      Amateur Radio legislation.

      John was been a tireless supporter of ARRL programs throughout his
      history as a ham.  Prior to being named Division LAC, John served in
      ARES (tm) and as Section Manager in Kentucky.  His retirement will
      allow him and his wife to travel when and where they wish with their
      camper.

      I thank John for the great effort and support he devoted to Amateur
      Radio and ARRL.  He has been relentless in performing the duties of any
      task he accepted.  I wish him well in the future and look forward to
      working NB4K/M many times.

      +++ New D-Star Net Begins +++

      A new wide-area D-Star net will begin operating Sunday, January 9.  The
      following information about the net is taken from the press release
      distributed by the sponsor, the Northern Ohio Digital Interconnect
      Group.

      "Lorain County Ohio – In an effort to further amateur radio and the
      exciting mode of D-STAR the Northern Ohio Digital Interconnect Group
      along with amateurs in Greater Cleveland, Akron, Columbus, Cincinnati
      and Michigan have joined forces to form the Ohio Wide Area D-STAR Net.

      "This net will operate in conjunction with many existing D-STAR
      repeaters on the newly formed Reflector 38 Alpha (REF038A), along with
      several planed sites, to form a reliable network of communication to be
      used for training in the operation of D-STAR. It will also allow for a
      platform to test communication links in the event of an emergency or
      natural disaster within the state or surrounding areas.

      "D-STAR technology offers the unique ability for amateurs all over the
      state to educate each other & build friendships while testing
      equipment. This infrastructure could be used to provide a valuable
      service to the community. Whether it is communication for a multi
      county marathon, friends chatting from Akron to Cincinnati or relaying
      tornado damage from a stricken town across the state D-STAR has
      something for everyone.

      "Please join the weekly Ohio Wide Area D-STAR net Sunday January the
      9th at 8:00 PM local time. Connection via repeater, dongle or DVAP can
      be made directly to reflector REF038A. All amateurs regardless of
      location or affiliation are encouraged to join in."

      D-Star was widely used during the relief response to Hurricane Katrina.
       This is the first statewide D-Star Net to come to my attention in the
      Great Lakes Division.  If there are other such nets or operational
      statewide digital nets, please let me know.

      For additional information on the Ohio Wide Area D-Star net, contact
      kb8zun@....

      +++ Sources of Inexpensive VHF/UHF Gear Coming? +++

      More years ago than I'd like to recall, a tremendous source of
      inexpensive VHF and then UHF gear became available when business band
      mobiles moved from what then was wideband to narrowband signal
      transmission.  This essentially started a move by many amateurs to 6M
      FM mobile and base.  I, for one, obtained two 6M FM transceivers that
      once had traveled the streets of Atlanta, GA in taxicabs.  One of these
      quite large (about 2' L, 15" W, 9" H) ended up in the car and the other
      in the shack.  This was before commercially-built ham 6M FM rigs were
      generally available.  Obsolete take-out FM rigs also sparked the
      development of 2M repeaters, the move of amateurs to this band, and the
      development and marketing of ham FM gear.

      A similar situation may occur as the FCC pursues the move of commercial
      FM users to adopt still more narrow emissions.  In case you haven't
      heard, FCC has mandated that "On January 1, 2013, all public safety and
      business industrial land mobile radio systems operating in the 150-512
      MHz radio bands must cease operating using 25 kHz efficiency
      technology, and begin operating using at least 12.5 kHz efficiency
      technology."  The notice is available at
      http://www.fcc.gov/pshs/public-safety-spectrum/narrowbanding.html.

      What this will mean to the availability of quality, obsolete mobile and
      base rigs to amateurs can only be speculated.  Whatever happens should
      not be bad for us.  Amateurs who are willing to make a few,
      modifications to the take-out rigs may reap considerable benefit.

      +++ FCC Publishes Rules on Vanity Call Signs and on RACES +++

      FCC rules changes concerning Vanity Call signs as well as those
      regarding RACES were published in the Federal Register dated December
      15.  The changes become effective February 14.  To read the rules
      changes, go to http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2010/pdf/2010-31349.pdf.
      The changes involve CFR 47 Part 0 and Part 97.  The FCC action is
      identified as WT Docket No. 09–209.

      +++ Programming Help Wanted +++

      Several months ago I asked for anyone who has the ability to
      write/modify computer programs and who may be interested in taking on a
      project for the Division decided to contact me.  Several members did
      this.  Unfortunately, I did not obtain all of the information needed to
      work on the program until relatively recently.  As a consequence I am
      starting over by asking anyone interested in determining if they would
      like to take the challenge.  Please contact me if you are interested in
      looking into helping.

      We currently have a program that works with one pre-written letter.
      Using an amateur's call sign, the program automatically adds the name
      and address of a US representative and the writer, and prints the
      completed letter for the writer's signature.

      What is desired is to make the program more flexible so that it can
      select from among about four letters as well as from US senators.  It
      would be even more useful if the names and addresses of state
      representatives and senators could be searched and added.

      If interested in the project, please contact me at k8je@....

      +++ Michigan Section Manager Election this Fall +++

      Last month I noted that the tri-annual election for Director and Vice
      Director of the Great Lakes Division will take place this coming fall.
      Similarly, the bi-annual election of the Michigan Section Manager (SM)
      will be held this coming fall.  Dale Williams, WA8EFK is the current
      Michigan SM.

      The rules and regulations concerning Section Manager (as well as
      Director and Vice Director) elections are at
      http://www.arrl.org/arrl-rules-regulations.

      +++ Want an ARRL Membership Certificate and ID Card? +++

      Nice certificates -- suitable for framing -- and ID cards are available
      for ARRL members by going to http://www.arrl.org/membership-certificate.
       Life members will have this category of membership indicated on the
      certificate and ID card.  Lost your ID card or certificate?  Click on
      this link and print whatever you need.

      +++ This Month's Final +++

      As the Tentative Travel, Hamfest and Activity Schedule, below,
      indicates, the ARRL Board of Directors will be held January 21 and 22.
      It will be preceded by meetings of the Programs & Services Committee and
      the Administration & Finance Committee (A&F).  There is nothing unusual
      about this.  What is different is the means of enhanced oversight of HQ
      activities that A&F with the cooperation of CEO Dave Sumner, K1ZZ, has
      been able to implement.  This new arrangement should improve
      understanding between the Board and staff of the progress of major
      projects and the capacity of Staff to manage additional projects.  One
      benefit to members should be increased productivity.

      +++ Tentative Travel, Hamfest and Activity Schedule +++

      Hamfests in the following list have received ARRL sanctioning as of
      press time.  Hamfests and other events for which a Great Lakes Division
      representative is scheduled to attend are identified with the
      representative's name.  The schedule can be expected to be fine-tuned
      from time to time.

      Patronize ARRL-sanctioned hamfests.  Hamfests, conventions, symposia
      and similar events sponsored by ARRL-affiliated clubs may be eligible
      to be sanctioned by the League.  For information on sponsoring and
      sanctioning a hamfest or convention, go to
      www.arrl.org/hamfest-sponsor-support.  To have your hamfest sanctioned,
      go to http://www.arrl.org/hamfest-convention-application to apply on
      line.  Hamfests are already being sanctioned for 2012!.  Please be sure
      to read the requirements for having an event sanctioned before
      submitting a request.

      Hamfest Chairmen, please remember to order your free handouts that are
      available from ARRL.  These handouts are to be displayed on the ARRL
      table you provide.  These replace the box of assorted goodies HQ
      previously sent automatically.  The reason for the change is to allow
      you to select only the materials you believe will be of value and
      interest to your attendees.

      2011 Happy New Year!

      16 Jan: 45th Hazel Park Hamfest, Hazel Park, MI - Jim*
      16 Jan: SCARF Hamfest, Nelsonville, OH
      20 Jan: A&F Meeting, Newington, CT - Jim
      21-22 Jan: ARRL Board Meeting,   CT - Gary, Jim
      30 Jan: Tusco ARC Hamfest, Strasburg, OH
      6   Feb: NOARS Winter Hamfest, Lorain, OH
      12 Feb. Cherryland ARC Swap-n-Shop, Traverse City, MI
      13 Feb: IARC Mid-Winter Hamfest, Mansfield, OH - Jim*
      20 Feb: Livonia ARC Swap-N-Shop, Livonia, MI - Jim"
      5   Mar: Cave City Hamfest, Cave City, KY - Jim
      12 Mar: MOVARC Hamfest, Gallipolis, OH
      19 Mar: Crossroads Hamfest, Marshall, MI - Jim
      20 Mar: TMRA Hamfest/Computer Fair, Perrysburg, OH - Jim
      2   Apr: ARGYL Hamfest,  Lowell, MI - Jim
      9   Apr: 55th Cuyahoga Falls ARC Hamfest, Cuyahoga Falls, OH
      16 Apr: Milford Swap and Shop, Milford, MI
      7  May: Cadillac Hamfest, Cadillac, MI
      14  Jul: Committee Meeting, Newington, CT
      15-16 Jul: ARRL Board Meeting, CT - Gary, Jim
      17  Jul: Van Wert Hamfest, Van Wert, OH
      31  Jul: Portage Hamfair 11, Randolph, OH
      6   Aug: Voice of Aladdin Hamfest, Columbus, OH - Jim
      21 Aug: Warren ARC Hamfest, Cortland, OH
      28 Aug: Cambridge ARA Hamfest, Cambridge, OH
      17 Sep: Richmond Hamfest, Richmond, KY
      27 Sep: Cleveland Hamfest & Computer Show, Berea, OH
      29 Oct:  Hazard Hamfest, Hazard, KY

      *Driving conditions permitting.

      Jim Weaver, K8JE, Director
      ARRL Great Lakes Division
      5065 Bethany Rd.
      Mason, OH 45040
      E-mail:  k8je@...,  Tel.: 513-459-1661
      ARRL - The national association for Amateur Radio