QSL Cards on EBay of Muskegon Past

  • heavyfistcharlie24
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 14, 2010
      While looking around on EBay with a search for "Muskegon", I found these three old QSL cards up for auction.

      W8CJ - Fred Castenholz -1963 (The EBay Seller is located in Appleton, Wisconsin)

      WA80JI - Nils Jansson - 1967 (The EBay Seller of this card is located in Estonia, Europe).

      W8EFG - R. Hess Garlough - 1949 (The EBay Seller is located in Appleton, Wisconsin)

      I won't be bidding on them, but perhaps someone on this reflector might want them.

      This is the URL for the link to the EBay search of these three QSL Cards. They are still up for auction.

      http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_kw=muskegon&_kw=qsl&_adv=1&_dmd=1&_fsct=&_in_kw=1&_ipg=50&_oexkw=&_okw=Muskegon+QSL+Card+-+W8CJ+-+Fred+Castenholz&_sop=12&_udhi=&_udlo=

      Reference Fred Castenholz, here is some info on his radio background that was listed in his obit:

      CASTENHOLZ, FRED E.
      Obituary
      Muskegon Chronicle, December 3, 1999

      Whitehall. Mr. Fred E. Castenholz, age 92, died Wednesday, December 1, 1999. He was born in Muskegon on February 22, 1907 to Frederick A. & Elizabeth M. (Curtis) Castenholz & married the former Maxine Moore in IN on April 1, 1930. Mr. Castenholz retired in 1966 after serving as Chief of Police for the City of Muskegon Police Dept. As Chief of Police, he was a consultant on the first Police Radio System & in 1932 became it's Chief Operator & Engineer. He later designed & constructed a new base and mobile transmitters. He was a member of First Congregational Church, a charter member of the Muskegon Area Amateur Radio Council with the call sign of W8CJ & past chairman & senior member of the Western Michigan Section Institute of Radio Engineers. Mr. Castenholz was also a life member of the Michigan Association of chiefs of Police, was an honorary active life member of the Fraternal Order of Police, was past president of the Police & Firemans Benevolent Association. past president & a life member of the Western Michigan Law Enforcement Association & was an honorary member of the Michigan Chapter of the Associated Public Safety Communications Officers. Additionally, Mr. Castenholz was a life member of the International Municipal Signal Association as well as a life member of the Muskegon Elks Lodge # 274. SURVIVORS 7 grandchildren, Kathy (Nick) Keeler of Kentwood, Dr. Frederick R. (Pam) Castenholz of Ann Arbor, Roderick W. (Sherri) Castenholz & Brian S. (Cindy) of Mt. Clemens & Robert (Karen) Lindstrom; 14 great grand children & by his daughter-in-law, Sandra Castenholz, also of Mt. Clemens. Mr. Castenholz was preceded in death by his wife, Maxine in 1990 & by his son, Eugene Roger Castenholz in 1973. SERVICE Saturday, December 4, 1999, 11:00 am at First Congregational Church with Rev. Thomas Mason officiating. Interment at Evergreen Cemetery. VISITATION Friday 2-4 & 7-9 pm at Clock Funeral Home. Clock Muskegon

      In 1962-63 he was the President of the Michigan Association of Chiefs of Police

      I have seen the name Nils Jansson at the MAARC clubhouse. This was the first time I had heard of R. Hess Garlough.

      73,
      - Scott KD8FXF -