Tonight's Long-Range 2m SSB Net Controls

  • kc9bqa
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 8, 2010
      It's Wednesday so it's 2m SSB net night. We're in the 30th month of running these. I'm sure plenty of MI guys wonder why a guy from WI tries to scare up radio "business" clear across Lake Michigan. I do it because on the SSB portion of 2m, the typical range for decent stations is 100-300 miles, any old time. So I promote these nets via many emails to different groups in a large circle surround the Great Lakes.
      Some hams become curious about what lies beyond the repeater. Many hams now have HF + VHF rigs with all bands in one box. When you get the urge to explore 2m SSB (or CW), we are here for you.

      Tonight we have:
      144.230 @ 0045Z or 6:45pm central/7:45pm eastern
      KA0KYZ Terry in EN33 -- southeast Minnesota.
      Starts out looking east, goes clockwise a full 360.
      ** Guys in W MI with decent (horizontally-polarized) yagis
      and at least 50-100w output power have worked KA0KYZ**

      144.240 @ 0100Z or 7pm central/8pm eastern
      KC9BQA in EN63, 40 miles north of Milwaukee.
      Starts out looking north, goes clockwise a full 360.
      ** I should be a chip shot for W MI. In fact, I've worked
      guys who've loaded up G5RV's, plus I've worked some guys who
      tried listening with their vertical 2m antenna. We've overcome
      the 20db cross-polarization loss.**

      All are welcome to listen along or say hello. The purpose is to
      create more activity on less-used portions of 2 meters. Please
      help us spread the word and keep the airwaves alive.

      If you want more detail, it's always available at kc9bqa.com.
      For instance, we want all amateurs with 2m and/or 6m to know
      that the next busy VHF contest is on the weekend of Jan. 22-23,
      2011, the ARRL January VHF Sweepstakes. Check my website
      for more info.

      73,
      Todd KC9BQA EN63ao 40 N of Milwaukee
      www.kc9bqa.com For Frequent VHF/UHF Updates
      www.wivuch.com WI VHF/UHF County Hunters Award
    • kc9bqa
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 28, 2010
        Every week, we have strong signals for hams who want to make contacts on 2m beyond the repeater. This week there's KA0KYZ in grid square EN33 (near Rochester, MN) on 144.230 MHz, starting at 7:45pm eastern time. There's also WB9LYH in EN54 (near WI Rapids)on 144.240, starting at 8pm eastern time. Best time for W MI to hear KA0KYZ is right at 7:45 and WB9LYH from 8:00-8:10pm.
        More info about these nets, and many other "weak-signal" VHF/UHF activities all across the Midwest is at kc9bqa.com. Think of my website as the VHF/UHF newspaper. Read the paper a few times each week and you're all caught up.

        73, Happy New Year,