Re: [WestMichiganHams] ground rod installation easier

  • Tom Nickisch
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2010
      Mark, they do work quite well. When I worked at cable we didn't have anything that darn nice, but we would ram it down by hand. You  would just start working it down a little at a time. Slam it in then pull it up and then down until you got to a point till you would use the BFH to finish it off. In most areas it worked.

      Tom

      From: Mark <k8mhz@...>
      To: WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, December 1, 2010, 10:06 AM

      That is cool, but.....

      Who gets to fix the lawn that got tore up so someone could take an hour to unload and use a 75,000 dollar machine to do a job I can do in 10 minutes with a 30 dollar T-post driver?

      That would be great if you had hundreds of rods to do on one job though.  Still, Hilti makes a bit for their rotary hammers for driving ground rods and they are twice as fast as the device on the crawler on the video.

      Electricians have to drive rods fairly often and most just use hammers.  A few will spend the 30 bucks for a T-post driver and I would be surprised if there were even a dozen rotary hammers equipped for ground rod driving in the entire Western Michigan area.

      A better use for the crawler would be to drive it to the top of a big hill, equip the arm with an antenna and point it straight up in the air as high as it can go.

      :)

      73

      Marky the Sparky K8MHZ