Long-Range 2m SSB Nets ON Tonight -- Wed. 12/1/10

  • kc9bqa
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2010
      If you didn't know that 200, 300, 400-mile contacts can be made everyday on
      VHF and UHF, then perhaps I've piqued your interest. The longer contacts are
      made between stations that point horizontally polarized yagi or beam antennas at
      one another. A guy with at least 50-100 watts + a 9 element or longer yagi, up
      30-50' and a clear horizon will make contacts in that 200 mile range. The
      higher your antennas, and the longer the yagi, the more DX you work. Make sure
      you use low-loss coax, too. 9913 or better yet LMR-400 will keep your feedline
      losses low, and bring every decibel to your ears.

      Tonight we have:
      144.230 @ 0045Z or 6:45pm central/7:45pm eastern
      KA0KYZ Terry in EN33 -- southeast Minnesota.
      Starts out looking east, goes clockwise a full 360.
      **W MI stations, see if you can hear KA0KYZ right at 7:45pm**

      144.240 @ 0100Z or 7pm central/8pm eastern
      KC9BQA in EN63, 40 miles north of Milwaukee.
      Starts out looking north, goes clockwise a full 360.

      144.250 @ 0130Z or 7:30pm central/8:30pm eastern
      K8TQK Bob in EM89 -- southern Ohio.
      Starts out looking north, goes clockwise a full 360.

      All 3 of these net controls make contacts in that 300-500
      mile range, with flat bands. Very grateful that they've come on
      board and are helping improve VHF.

      Even if nets don't interest you, take advantage of the fact that
      dozens of guys are on. We encourage you to look around on
      144.220 and below, just like we encourage our net check-ins to
      do the same. Wednesdays are becoming "can't-miss" nights to
      be on 2 meters. Nov. 10 and 17, we had 59 and 71 check-ins on these nets, across multiple
      states and grid squares -- best weeks ever since we started up in July of 2008.
      Those stations are listed in my Nov. 11 and 18th net reports at kc9bqa.com.

      Of course, we also encourage you to visit the free, real-time
      chat at www.on4kst.com. We use the IARU Region 2 Chat for
      144/432 MHz, and it's a great tool for helping you make more
      on-air contacts. 7 simple instructions for signing up are at this link:
      http://kc9bqa.com/?p=3765

      73,
      Todd KC9BQA EN63ao 40 N of Milwaukee
      www.kc9bqa.com For Frequent VHF/UHF Updates