KC9BQA Has 144.240 SSB Net Tonight @0100Z

  • kc9bqa
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 4 12:55 AM
      Look toward 40 miles north of Milwaukee tonight if you want to play 2m SSB. I'm on 144.240 at 9pm eastern. I look toward W MI at the start; 9:00-9:10pm. Full net details are up at kc9bqa.com. All are welcome. WB9LYH and I run this net as individuals and the only purpose is to increase activity on less-used portions of 2 meters. If you like DX potential on VHF, we're here to give you a chip shot contact. Modest VHF stations work across Lake Michigan all the time, especially with good summer and early fall propagation.

      I want to tell you about something very unusual and special that affected VHF and UHF tonight. You may want to share this with ham friends who haven't heard about it.
      Starting about 5pm Tues. there was aurora enhancement on the bands. This doesn't happen very often and once you hear it, you'll never forget what it sounds like. I imagine searching You Tube or Google for "VHF Aurora Propagation" (or something similar) would give you multiple options. You have to hear auroral enhanced signals to believe it.

      Let's put it this way -- reviewing the on4kst.com chat archives from tonight (I just got home at midnight) shows how Midwest stations worked Tennessee on 6m and 2m SSB and CW, *WHILE THE MIDWEST ANTENNAS WERE POINTED NORTH*. Think about that for a second, LOL.

      It's been quite some time since we've had a good VHF aurora opening. Tonight delivered.

      If you want, visit kc9bqa.com for more details.

      73,
      Todd KC9BQA EN63ao 40 N of Milwaukee
      www.kc9bqa.com For Frequent VHF/UHF Updates
      www.wivuch.com WI VHF/UHF County Hunters Award