Leonard Schaafsma W8SPX-SK

  • Jack Amelar
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 13, 2010
      Leonard Schaafma W8SPX-SK

      I have just been contacted by Leonard’s Son-In-Law, Richard Dykstra, to
      pass on the news. Please pass this on to any hams you know that don’t
      receive e-mail messages.
      Visitation is Wednesday, funeral Thursday, detailed in the obituary
      published in Grand Rapids Press on July 13, 2010
      http://obits.mlive.com/obituaries/grandrapids/obituary.aspx?n=leonard-schaafsma&pid=144064679

      SCHAAFSMA - Mr. Leonard M. Schaafsma, age 95, of Grand Rapids, went
      home to be with his Lord on July 12, 2010. He was preceded in death by
      his wife, Jennie; and by his companion, Kitty Nagelkerk. Leonard is
      survived by his children, Leonard and Mary Schaafsma, Karen and Richard
      Dykstra; grandchildren, Scott (Tanya) Schaafsma, Kelly Schaafsma,
      Machele Dykstra, Chad Dykstra, and Jessica Dykstra; his great grandson,
      Andrew Dykstra; sister-in-law, Doris (Vern) Parmeter; and several
      nieces, nephews, and cousins. Friends and relatives are invited to
      visit with his family on Wednesday from 7 to 9 p.m. at Heritage Life
      Story Funeral Home - Van't Hof Chapel, 851 Leonard NW and on Thursday
      at Church for one hour prior to the service. A service to celebrate his
      life will be held on Thursday, July 15 at 1 p.m. at Westend Christian
      Reformed Church, 1015 Westend NW. For those who wish, memorial
      contributions to St. Mary's Doran Foundation are appreciated. To read
      more about Leonard's life, to share a favorite memory or to sign the
      online register, please visit www.lifestorynet.com. Heritage Life Story
      Funeral Homes

      The direct link to lifestorynet: http://www.lifestorynet.com/memories/60492/

      My own notes, Leonard was heavily involved with the Grand Rapids
      Amateur Radio Association for decades as well as the Independent
      Repeater Association. Many other organizations as well. I first met
      Leonard in the late 60s when I was about 14. He was repairing our
      furnace and noticed the radio setup I had in the basement. RIP Leonard.

      73 Jack NY8D