144.240 MHz SSB net *ON* Wed. @ 9pm -- KC9BQA Net Control

  • kc9bqa
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2010
      Hello,

      I hope this info goes thru the Yahoo system before Wed. evening.

      The long-range 144.240 SSB net will be called by me -- KC9BQA -- for at least the next two Weds. I'm located 40 miles north of Milwaukee, far southern Sheboygan Co. Anyone with all-mode gear and (preferably) horizontally-polarized antennas stands a good chance of hearing me.

      I start the net at 9pm eastern, looking north into the U.P. of MI. From there, I swing clockwise with the yagis, looking NE, E, SE, S, SW, W, NW and finally north again by about 10:30pm.

      I would point at W MI about 9:10-9:20pm.

      All are welcome to say hello or listen along. This net is to stir up more activity on 2m SSB, and to get some hams thinking about working 100-200 miles or more on VHF, far in excess of what is thought to be normal.

      When I'm not pointing your way, you may hear activity on 144.230. We encourage our net check-ins to slide down to 144.230 and talk around, trying to create their own activity.

      Always feel free to check kc9bqa.com if you want to know what the latest VHF/UHF news is. There's far more there than I can send in emails.

      For instance, hope a few of you have an interest in the big ARRL June VHF QSO Party this weekend, from 1pm Saturday to 10pm Sunday. If you want more info, look on the arrl website or email me. I have a series of articles called VHF Contesting School that I will gladly forward.
      I would say that the number of VHF contesters has increased 20-40% across WI and N ILL in the past 2-3 years. Reasonably equipped stations on the SSB side of V/UHF should hear plenty of activity. The contests are the single busiest times on the bands. I work many MI stations in a contest, all the way out to Detroit and Cleveland. So this is a very good time to get on board.

      73,
      Todd KC9BQA EN63ao 40 N of Milwaukee
      www.kc9bqa.com For Frequent VHF/UHF Updates
      www.wivuch.com WI VHF/UHF County Hunters Award