The Official Results -- The Holland "Spring Kickoff Foxhunt -- 2010"

  • Michel
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 21, 2010
      What a fantastic fox hunt for a spring kickoff!

      The Holland "Spring Kickoff Foxhunt – 2010" was highlighted Tuesday night – not by who won, but by the outstanding job done by the fox team. Challenged to make the hunt fairly easy for the newcomers and somewhat challenging for the old timers, the fox team accomplished both. Our hats are off to James, K8JHR, and Chuck, AJ8W of "Team Kent" (County) for a fun evening. Everyone found the fox and had funny stories to tell afterwards at the Burger King.

      Normally for a kickoff hunt, the fox will park his van in some out-of-the-way park or down a lonely road and taunt hunters with periodic transmissions. Team Kent added three twists that made the hunt interesting, but not overly difficult.

      For the first twist, they went portable leaving their car behind and walking to their chosen site on foot. K8JHR carried the radio and antenna and AJ8W lugged the portable "car starter" battery and a book to read to the hunters during transmissions.

      The second twist was a rather unique site in a viewing section of the Kollen Park Boardwalk on Lake Macatawa. While the hunters were racing around town and getting frustrated by a train that kept blocking the way, James and Chuck were watching the sunset over the lake and feeding the ducks. They also took some time to explain ham radio to passing onlookers. (Good PR.)

      The third twist did post a slight problem. It sent most hunting teams to the other side of Lake Macatowa to Dutton Park where they found nothing but walking paths and and a strong signal coming from back across the lake. The fox team used a three element yagi antenna for their transmissions. The antenna was pointed directly toward a steel boat storage building across the lake causing hunters to be temporarily distracted.

      All hunters arrived at the park and boardwalk at about the same time, about an hour and a half into the hunt. The sun had already set over the lake. Each team made the long walk down the boardwalk and around a bend to the viewing deck only to find the foxes lounging and waiting with "we gotch-ya" looks on their faces. It was a great hunt!

      Winner of the hunt was the team of Tom and Sheila Bosscher, K8TB and K8AJ. Second place went to the team of Jim, KD8CAN, Bob, KD8HNF, and Robert, KC8USP. The next two teams of K8EMU, KB8QAP, and K8TVU finished within two-tenths of a mile behind the second place team. The team team that came the furthest to the hunt was Mike, KB8ZGL, a MSU student from Greenville and his father, KB8ZGK from Byron Center.

      This was fun. Let's do it again!
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 21, 2010
        AND KUDOS TO THE HOST AND EVENT PLANNER, MIKE W8DER
        who has been really busy with the web site and working with
        the local clubs to spur interest and get the whole thing organized.

        Thanks Mike.