MiQP N8Q(N8XX) Single Op QRP

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 18 4:34 PM
      Michigan QSO Party

      Call: N8Q
      Operator(s): N8XX
      Station: N8XX

      Class: Single Op QRP
      QTH: NEWAygo
      Operating Time (hrs): 8

      80: 52 63
      40: 13 3
      20: 7 6
      15: 0 0
      10: 0 0
      --------------------
      Total: 82 72 CW Mults = 45 Ph Mults = 46 Total Score = 21,476

      Club: Mad River Radio Club

      Comments:

      Total operating time about 8 hours - started a bit after 1 p.m. - ended
      at a bit after 9 p.m. with a couple breaks to get some coffee at the
      local gas station and to do a bit of sight seeing along the Kalamazoo
      river - with two Hydroelectric dams!

      Cold, windy, but nice park. Found that there WAS a 110 VAC outlet, so
      things worked out easier than I figured. Temperature was cool when I
      started setting up, got colder during the day, with winds reported over
      30 MPH. I stayed inside my van for operating, it was warm and out of
      the wind, though the wind shook things from time to time.

      Rig was my trusty Drake TR-5, cranked down to <5 Watts, using a Heath
      QRP wattmeter as the judge.

      Antenna was a 80 metre dipole, sorta an inverted V, up 40 feet in the
      middle fed with 450 ohm ladder line, tuned with a 1960's era Johnson
      Matchbox.

      When I fired up the computer to run CW, the thing barfed when I plugged
      in the USB to COM port adapter - don't understand this but it must mean
      I didn't use it for contesting since a hard drive cra$hed. Without
      internet connection I couldn't find the driver, so had to use a trusty
      olde Vibroplex bug for sending. Apologies to the newbies who have
      trouble reading my "Lake Erie Swing." :)

      80/75 was the workhorse, for a while I could "run" on 40 or 20 CW, but
      bands were kinda rotten for QRP. I "ran" on both 80 and 75 - very
      surprising to me for QRP to command responses on phone. 75 phone beat
      out 80 CW for the first time for my effort. For a while it was "wall to
      wall" almost, from about 3780 to >3850 KHz with stations operating MiQP.

      KD8HNF came up to operate at the same spot mobile/fixed, so I got one
      NEWAygo county contact and a phone multiplier. Thanks, Bob! The contact
      was great, and your help tearing down saved lots of time!

      Don't think the N8Q call was a help - especially with QRP - many folks
      asked for "fills" on the "Q" station - so N8XX probably would have had
      similar results. However, using a 1X1 is fun to this casual contester