Forest cleanup, April 17, radio volunteers still needed

  • Jack Amelar
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 12 5:54 PM
      **Please forward this message on the various Lakeshore area e-mail
      reflectors. Thanks!**

      TNX to Damon KC7NEC of North Muskegon for volunteering communications
      help this Saturday.
      Also to Dennis N8CUF, Mary N8EZL, and Frank N8UVI

      BUT I STILL NEED THREE MORE. Come on, I know we can do this!

      Positions still need to fill:
      One official vehicle, they supply the vehicle and driver, you supply
      the radio and you.
      Photographer vehicle, same deal as above.
      Collection site at Brunswick Rd and Linderman Rd, Holton Township.

      73 Jack NY8D

      COMMUNICATIONS VOLUNTEERS NEEDED

      On Saturday, April 17, the Two Trackers http://www.twotrackers.org
      will be sponsoring the
      12th annual Forest Cleanup in the Manistee National Forest area and
      other public lands,
      in northern Muskegon County and southern Oceana county.
      Last year, over 200 volunteers showed up with pick-up trucks and
      trailers to clean out
      trash and tires that gets dumped. More details and trash statistics
      at
      http://www.twotrackers.org/events

      Last year I was approached by the coordinators of this event to help
      with communications.
      The organizers had discovered that cell phones and CBs don't do so
      well in the woods.
      That's where the "to provide a public service" part of amateur radio
      comes in.
      Being a member of the Two Trackers, being involved for the past few
      years picking up and
      hauling trash, and being a ham operator, I was approached to organize

      communications.
      We did such a good job last year, I was asked to do it again this
      year. I have
      volunteered to organize and operate ground zero / net control.

      We'll need radio volunteers at 3 dumpster sites with-in the forest
      area, with the tour
      vehicles, the coordinator(s), and photographer. Additional radio
      assignments may be needed.

      The event starts in Twin Lake at the CarGo gas station on Hwy M-120.
      Registration at 8AM
      (radio volunteers will have our own registration), volunteers sent
      out in the field at 9.
      Rolls, coffee, and volunteer "communications" shirts provided to
      those who volunteer
      early enough that I can forward sizes to the shirt printer. Hot dog
      lunch provided at
      about 1PM. After volunteers move into the field, ground zero will
      move from the CarGo
      station to Blue Lake Township Park where lunch will be served. After
      lunch, those who want to help wrap up the event are welcome to, other

      wise done for the
      day.
      An event flier can be found at
      http://www.twotrackers.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/cleanup-flyer-2010.pdf

      We will use the Muskegon County Emergency Service 146.82(94.8Hz) 2M
      repeater. My contact
      information is in my signature. TIA.

      73 Jack NY8D

      Jack Amelar