Re: Forest cleanup, April 17, radio volunteers still needed

  • Damon
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 8, 2010
      I sent an email threw here to you. I am from North Muskegon. i have a 2m mobile and a Dual Band HT. I am free to help that day and have it on my calendar. I am not sure why the email did not work.

      --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, Jack Amelar <jamelar@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > reflectors. Thanks!**
      >
      > From my previous plea I have, besides myself, two confirmed and one
      > maybe radio volunteers. Nobody from the Muskegon area I might add.
      > Since this event DOES take place in Muskegon County, it would be nice
      > if some area hams would step up. TNX.
      >
      > Positions still need to fill:
      > The two official vehicles, they supply the vehicle and driver, you
      > supply the radio and you.
      > Photographer vehicle, same deal as above.
      > Collection site at Brunswick Rd and Linderman Rd, Holton Township.
      >
      > Not a lot of people needed, I'm sure we can do this :)
      >
      > 73 Jack NY8D
      >
      > COMMUNICATIONS VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
      >
      > On Saturday, April 17, the Two Trackers http://www.twotrackers.org will
      > be sponsoring the
      > 12th annual Forest Cleanup in the Manistee National Forest area and
      > other public lands,
      > in northern Muskegon County and southern Oceana county.
      > Last year, over 200 volunteers showed up with pick-up trucks and
      > trailers to clean out
      > trash and tires that gets dumped. More details and trash statistics at
      > http://www.twotrackers.org/events
      >
      > Last year I was approached by the coordinators of this event to help
      > with communications.
      > The organizers had discovered that cell phones and CBs don't do so well
      > in the woods.
      > That's where the "to provide a public service" part of amateur radio comes in.
      > Being a member of the Two Trackers, being involved for the past few
      > years picking up and
      > hauling trash, and being a ham operator, I was approached to organize
      > communications.
      > We did such a good job last year, I was asked to do it again this year. I have
      > volunteered to organize and operate ground zero / net control.
      >
      > We'll need radio volunteers at 3 dumpster sites with-in the forest
      > area, with the tour
      > vehicles, the coordinator(s), and photographer. Additional radio
      > assignments may be needed.
      >
      > The event starts in Twin Lake at the CarGo gas station on Hwy M-120.
      > Registration at 8AM
      > (radio volunteers will have our own registration), volunteers sent out
      > in the field at 9.
      > Rolls, coffee, and volunteer "communications" shirts provided to those
      > who volunteer
      > early enough that I can forward sizes to the shirt printer. Hot dog
      > lunch provided at
      > about 1PM. After volunteers move into the field, ground zero will move
      > from the CarGo
      > station to Blue Lake Township Park where lunch will be served. After
      > lunch, those who want to help wrap up the event are welcome to, other
      > wise done for the
      > day.
      > An event flier can be found at
      > http://www.twotrackers.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/cleanup-flyer-2010.pdf
      >
      > We will use the Muskegon County Emergency Service 146.82(94.8Hz) 2M

    • Jack Amelar
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 12, 2010
        **Please forward this message on the various Lakeshore area e-mail
        reflectors. Thanks!**

        TNX to Damon KC7NEC of North Muskegon for volunteering communications
        help this Saturday.
        Also to Dennis N8CUF, Mary N8EZL, and Frank N8UVI

        BUT I STILL NEED THREE MORE. Come on, I know we can do this!

        Positions still need to fill:
        One official vehicle, they supply the vehicle and driver, you supply