Forest cleanup, April 17, radio volunteers still needed

  • Jack Amelar
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 7 6:22 PM
      **Please forward this message on the various Lakeshore area e-mail
      reflectors. Thanks!**

      From my previous plea I have, besides myself, two confirmed and one
      maybe radio volunteers. Nobody from the Muskegon area I might add.
      Since this event DOES take place in Muskegon County, it would be nice
      if some area hams would step up. TNX.

      Positions still need to fill:
      The two official vehicles, they supply the vehicle and driver, you
      supply the radio and you.
      Photographer vehicle, same deal as above.
      Collection site at Brunswick Rd and Linderman Rd, Holton Township.

      Not a lot of people needed, I'm sure we can do this :)

      73 Jack NY8D

      COMMUNICATIONS VOLUNTEERS NEEDED

      On Saturday, April 17, the Two Trackers http://www.twotrackers.org will
      be sponsoring the
      12th annual Forest Cleanup in the Manistee National Forest area and
      other public lands,
      in northern Muskegon County and southern Oceana county.
      Last year, over 200 volunteers showed up with pick-up trucks and
      trailers to clean out
      trash and tires that gets dumped. More details and trash statistics at
      http://www.twotrackers.org/events

      Last year I was approached by the coordinators of this event to help
      with communications.
      The organizers had discovered that cell phones and CBs don't do so well
      in the woods.
      That's where the "to provide a public service" part of amateur radio comes in.
      Being a member of the Two Trackers, being involved for the past few
      years picking up and
      hauling trash, and being a ham operator, I was approached to organize
      communications.
      We did such a good job last year, I was asked to do it again this year. I have
      volunteered to organize and operate ground zero / net control.

      We'll need radio volunteers at 3 dumpster sites with-in the forest
      area, with the tour
      vehicles, the coordinator(s), and photographer. Additional radio
      assignments may be needed.

      The event starts in Twin Lake at the CarGo gas station on Hwy M-120.
      Registration at 8AM
      (radio volunteers will have our own registration), volunteers sent out
      in the field at 9.
      Rolls, coffee, and volunteer "communications" shirts provided to those
      who volunteer
      early enough that I can forward sizes to the shirt printer. Hot dog
      lunch provided at
      about 1PM. After volunteers move into the field, ground zero will move
      from the CarGo
      station to Blue Lake Township Park where lunch will be served. After
      lunch, those who want to help wrap up the event are welcome to, other
      wise done for the
      day.
      An event flier can be found at
      http://www.twotrackers.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/cleanup-flyer-2010.pdf

      We will use the Muskegon County Emergency Service 146.82(94.8Hz) 2M
      repeater. My contact
      information is in my signature. TIA.

      73 Jack NY8D

      Jack Amelar
      1554 Lincoln Lake Ave NE
      Lowell, MI 49331-9711
      Home: (616)897-6885
      Office: (616)493-8736
      Cell: (616)318-4551 (Nextel 130*719*68)
      E-mail: mailto:jamelar@...
    • Damon
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 8 6:13 AM
        I sent an email threw here to you. I am from North Muskegon. i have a 2m mobile and a Dual Band HT. I am free to help that day and have it on my calendar. I am not sure why the email did not work.

        --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, Jack Amelar <jamelar@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > Registration at 8AM
        > (radio volunteers will have our own registration), volunteers sent out
        > in the field at 9.
        > Rolls, coffee, and volunteer "communications" shirts provided to those
        > who volunteer
        > early enough that I can forward sizes to the shirt printer. Hot dog
        > lunch provided at
        > about 1PM. After volunteers move into the field, ground zero will move
        > from the CarGo
        > station to Blue Lake Township Park where lunch will be served. After
        > lunch, those who want to help wrap up the event are welcome to, other
        > wise done for the
        > day.
        > An event flier can be found at
        > http://www.twotrackers.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/cleanup-flyer-2010.pdf
        >
        > We will use the Muskegon County Emergency Service 146.82(94.8Hz) 2M

      • Jack Amelar
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 12 5:54 PM
          **Please forward this message on the various Lakeshore area e-mail
          reflectors. Thanks!**

          TNX to Damon KC7NEC of North Muskegon for volunteering communications
          help this Saturday.
          Also to Dennis N8CUF, Mary N8EZL, and Frank N8UVI

          BUT I STILL NEED THREE MORE. Come on, I know we can do this!

          Positions still need to fill:
          One official vehicle, they supply the vehicle and driver, you supply