2010 Tulip Time Parades

  • Jim Miller
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 15 11:54 AM
      Hello, it might not feel like Spring is just around the corner but it
      will be here very soon, with Spring's arrival comes the 2010 Tulip Time
      Festival.

      As in the past the Amateur Radio Operators and the American Red Cross
      will be providing support along the parade routes during the three Tulip
      Time parades.

      The first parade (Volksparade) is scheduled for Wednesday, May 6, which
      we will need twelve Amateur Radio Operators to work as a Team with two
      American Red Cross First Aid Responders in covering a one block section
      of the parade route. Along with two Net Control Operators, we will need
      a total of fourteen Amateur Radio Operators, during the time frame of
      approximately 1:00pm until 3:30pm.

      The second parade (Kinderparade) is scheduled for Thursday, May 8, which
      we will need the same number of Amateur Radio Operators as the Wednesday
      parade, during the same approximate time frame. The rain date for this
      parade will be Friday, May 9.

      The third, the largest, and the longest parade (Muziekparade) is
      schedule for Saturday, May 10, which we will need twenty-four Amateur
      Radio Operators to cover a one-block section of the expanded parade
      route, along with two-three Net Control Operators. Also during this
      parade we need packet radio stations setup and operating at the American
      Red Cross Tulip Time Headquarters, Holland High School, and at Net Control.

      Also for the Saturday parade, Amateur Radio Operators are needed to
      assist with parade lineup. This group will be working within their own
      net, and on a different frequency than the parade route Teams. We need
      approximately ten operators, six assigned to specific Division Parade
      Marshals, one to work with the floats, one to assist the TV Crew with
      their coverage, one to work with the cars, one to work directly with the
      Grand Marshal, and two Net Control Operators. Adding up the various
      activities on Saturday, we need approximately forty Amateur Radio
      Operators just to cover what we currently know needs to be covered.

      As one can see, this is large operation in which one Club or Group
      cannot handle on their own. Please we need your help in getting the
      word out to all area Amateur Radio Operators of this need. Many have
      done this festival for years and have their favorite spots to serve. If
      you are willing to serve, and have a favorite spot, please let me know I
      will to my best to assign you to that specific position. For those that
      are new to the hobby or those that have sat on the sidelines in the past
      years, please consider giving it a try. It is fun, and is a great way
      to brush up on your net operating procedures while providing a highly
      visible community service.

      If you're interested in volunteering, please provide me with you full
      name, call sign, physical limitations or special needs, contact phone
      number, email address, and any special assignments you would like to cover.

      Please email Dave Lamer WA8RSA directly at wa8rsa@... if you're
      interested in working the parade line-up on Saturday.

      Thank you in advance!

      Jim Miller W8JRM
      Ottawa County Emergency Communications
      jimrmiller@...
      616-843-0023
    • mapscenes@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 15 1:37 PM
        Dates are goofy ...

        k8mic
      • Jim Miller
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 15 2:15 PM
          Somehow I looked at the wrong month when sending out the dates for this
          years parades.

          Here are the corrected dates:

          Volksparade: Wednesday May 5
          Kinderparade: Thursday May 6