Re: [WestMichiganHams] Re: FM 2 Meter Simplex Contest Feb 7 & 10

  • Todd Sprinkmann
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 16, 2010
      Hi Bill,

      How did the Wed. night edition of the 2m FM simplex
      contest go?
      Do you think the whole effort was worthwhile, overall?
      Any other observations or questions?

      I had good intentions of getting on, but life got in the
      way. I did put the word out over here, via my website,
      but no idea if any other WI stations listened in.

      I was going to send this to you privately, but I guess it
      wouldn't hurt to send it to the W MI Hams Yahoo group.
      Perhaps it will generate some discussion.

      I can say that it's very hard to get newer hams (i.e. those
      who are very used to the repeater) to get away from a single
      frequency. But spreading out a little is exactly what one
      should do. No reason you can't operate some on 146.550,
      then on 146.580, and keep using your VFO, tuning for activity
      on the various frequencies. It's actually to your advantage
      (and other stations) to spread out. Spreading out helps
      everyone make more contacts more smoothly.

      The anaology I like to use is this: You wouldn't stand in
      a grocery store line that's 10 deep when other check-out lines
      have nobody in them, would you? Same deal with spreading
      out and calling CQ on your own frequency.

      I liked your method of going mobile (or rover) down a road
      separating two townships. Very efficient.
      73,
      Todd KC9BQA EN63ao 40 N of Milwaukee
      http://www.kc9bqa.com For Frequent VHF/UHF Updates

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 17, 2010
        Todd:

        Yes, I welcome the opportunity to say a few things about our version of the FM Contest on VHF.

        This was the initial running of this event. We had limited participation. Those pitching in really made this a fun contest for everyone.

        I believe I plagiarized, extensively, rules you had written. One participant thought that the obverse was the case. Flattery and all. This whole thing goes back to a recent issue of QST.

        The Wisconsin version of the FM Simplex 2 Meter Contest uses grid squares. I wanted to simplify this a bit and make it easier for a new ham to declare his "grid square" for the contest. I think the calculation can be made using on-line assets like qrz.com. This requires a sophisticated mobile as well as preplanning by the home stations.

        This type of contest encourages mobiles. And the mobiles need to talk to each other and coordinate their movements. For example, the mobiles talked on Sunday. On Wednesday they went wildly differing directions that did not allow them to talk with each other. In the end the mobiles handed out the majority of contacts enjoyed by the other two classes, being home station and HT. More mobiles would keep the frequencies hopping.

        Wednesday I was mobile and managed to find a corner for four townships. This meant I could move a little, fast, and offer four jurisdictions. Then I moved into a town separated by a river. Two more that quickly.

        In a sprint the mobiles must plan their route with care. This probably applies to other contests like those soliciting counties. In the sprint the whole thing just flies by so quickly.

        In the end the most often asked question, hands down, was, "When can we do this again?" Maybe this could be the next twist on Fox Hunting?

        73

        Bill, NA8M
      • Todd Sprinkmann
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 17, 2010
          Hi Bill,

          Thanks for the extended thoughts. I agree with you that
          getting adequate participation is the biggest challenge with
          any event like this. That's why I promote so heavily; to try
          and improve participation with weekly nets, with ARRL
          VHF/UHF contests, and the like.

          I do want to clear up something. I have nothing to do
          with the rules and running of the MRAC FM Simplex Contest.
          I simply help them promote it. I like more activity in contests,
          so I help spread the word. But I wasn't even on the air when
          MRAC (www.w9rh.org) came up with their contest, so I
          can't take any credit there.
          The issue of QST you mentioned was the January one,
          on Page 79 -- This Month in Contesting.

          For those who are interested, the MRAC FM Simplex
          Contest is this Sunday, the 21st. I know some of us are
          capable of cross-lake QSO's, if we have decent antennas,
          turn the squelch down, and listen carefully. I can work
          decent stations up to 100 or so miles with my vertical up
          90' and 100 watts.
          Of course, if someone doesn't like their QTH, they can
          they go rover (or mobile) to a high location and try their
          luck from there. Many do this in the ARRL VHF/UHF
          contests, and that's where the real action is, on the SSB
          side of things. In a typical ARRL contest, I will make
          200, 300 or more contacts over 20-30 hours, using
          bands like 6m, 2m, 1.25m and 70cm. Almost all of that
          is on SSB mode, with horizontally polarized antennas.
          *Anyone* reading this with an interest in doing more
          VHF/UHF Contesting should know by now that I will
          help. Just contact me or do further study on my website.

          Before I run any further off track, here's the rules and
          times for the MRAC FM Simplex Contest this Sunday.
          http://www.w9rh.org/fm_simplex_contest.htm Again, I'm
          just the messenger. I think as many hams as possible should
          at least know about some different ways we enjoy the hobby.