FM Activity Period in ARRL VHF Contest this weekend -- Come out and Play

  • kc9bqa
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 22, 2010
      ARRL January VHF Sweepstakes starts 2pm Sat. and goes until 11pm Sun. All bands from 6 and 2 meters on up are in play. 60-80% of the activity takes place on 6 and 2 (typically SSB mode and horizontally polarized antennas) so if you have those bands, you are more than welcome to play.
      Know that in WI and NE ILL, there is a growing push for inviting more FM-only stations to Get On the Air With Whatever You Have. With only Lake Michigan between us, we want Michigan stations to feel invited and informed. It is not a stretch to have cross-lake QSO's with stations that have antennas up high and decent power. Vertical beams pointed at your target would *really* help. Wait until summer and warmer weather. You'll hear cross-lake stuff most night and early mornings.

      Like we did last year, we are promoting FM activity periods of 3-6pm on Saturday What can you do? Turn on your rig, tune the dial thru the simplex frequencies and answer CQ's or better yet, make you own calls. You know how 20 hams all said the band was dead? Well, they were all listening and nobody was calling CQ Contest. So it's time to spread the word and get your buddies on this weekend.

      A Muskegon club will be having their first-ever FM simplex contest in February, so this would be a good time to practice.

      The basic frequencies and logging procedure are coming right up.

      73,
      Todd KC9BQA EN63ao 40 N of Milwaukee
      http://www.kc9bqa.com For Frequent VHF/UHF Updates