ARRL 10 N8XX SO CW QRP

    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 13, 2009
      ARRL 10-Meter Contest

      Call: N8XX
      Operator(s): N8XX
      Station: N8XX

      Class: SO CW QRP
      QTH: MI
      Operating Time (hrs): 1.5

      CW: 21 6
      SSB:
      -------------------
      Total: 21 6 Total Score = 504

      Club: Mad River Radio Club

      Comments: Wow! On Sunday afternoon a "pipeline" opened up to Texas, with
      the vast majority of the contacts being from Texas. Did make one
      contact in Oklahoma, and heard Louisiana once, but he must have been
      doing S&P because I never heard him again.

      I'm sure I missed a few openings. I'd go up to the shack for a few
      minutes, if I heard zilch I'd fold and go back to other activities.
      People on the Minnesota Wireless Association reflector were commenting
      about "runs" they made with 120 per hour, etc., of course on High Power.
      I never heard 120 different stations on at one time.

      I entered just to see if my tuner would tune out the reactance on 10
      metres - which it did, and then if I could make at least one contact.
      And, the "Magic Antenna Converter" worked fine, converted the 1/2 wave
      antenna for 40 metres into two full waves in phase for 10 metres. I
      forget where I found that "Magic Antenna Converter" but it really works
      nice. If I could remember the source, perhaps I could corner it, and
      make several millions.

      Heard a PY1 from Brazil with a good signal for several minutes on Sunday
      afternoon, but he was either an alligator or conditions were not good
      enough for him to hear me.

      Lettuce hope that we get a few more sunspots, so 10 metres is really
      open most of the time!
    • ke8fo
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 14, 2009
        That's great Hank. Years ago, the 10m contest was one of my favorites. I was hoping against hope that there would be something on this year and I could make a few QSOs. But I don't have your patience. I would hear nothing but static the few times I checked in the daytime, up and down the entire band, so I turned the radio off and went on to something else. Maybe next year? Maybe Cycle 26?

        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 15, 2009
          "Patience?" :)

          I don't know if I disqualified myself as a Single Op Unassisted, but I
          was checking e-mail every so often during the times I was available, and
          when someone in the QRP reflector to which I subscribe would say "the
          band is up" I'd listen. Didn't check the location of the people posting
          info, but I didn't recognize any local calls, so I figure it wasn't like
          monitoring a DX cluster or using a skimmer. Besides, with my giant
          number of Q's (21) it really doesn't matter. A purist might disqualify
          me - if so, c'est le guerre.

          Anyway, it was fun - especially working the Texas QSO party - 2nd
          session - on Sunday afternoon, when all but one Q was with Texas.

          73 de n8xx Hg

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 11, 2011
            Anyone else do the ARRL 10 M contest this weekend? I had a ball with 5
            watts to a wet noodle antenna!

            73 de n8xx Hg

            ======= Score summary sent to the 3830@... reflector =======

            ARRL 10-Meter Contest

            Call: N8XX
            Operator(s): N8XX
            Station: N8XX

            Class: SO CW QRP
            QTH: MI
            Operating Time (hrs): 7

            CW: 155 46
            SSB: 0 0
            -------------------
            Total: 155 46 Total Score = 28,520

            Club: Mad River Radio Club

            Comments:

            Wow! 10 metres was open - early in the day to Europe, later to western
            USA, South American, etc.

            Even with a wire antenna at 28' maximum (it's a 130' inverted V, fed in
            the center with 400 Ohm Twin Lead) folks could actually hear me! Never
            put together a big enough signal for a "good run" but about 95% S&P.

            Thanks to all the folks who dug down deep into the noise to pull my
            pipsquoke antenna out of the mud.
          • NA8M
            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 12, 2011
              I dabbled. Fifty or so QSOs on both CW and phone. Got a late start on Sunday afternoon when ten was open to the West Coast and Mexico. It was FUN, easy, interesting, rewarding, fun, and great to have ten-meters open for a change.

              de Bill, NA8M

              --- In WestMichiganHams@yahoogroups.com, Hank Greeb <n8xx@...> wrote:

              > Anyone else do the ARRL 10 M contest this weekend? I had a ball with 5
              > watts to a wet noodle antenna!
              >
              > 73 de n8xx Hg
            • ke8fo
              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 12, 2011
                I only got on for 3 1/2 hours, but worked 100. That included a chat with Greg, W8GP, in Robinson Township.

                Mark,
                KE8FO