WEAVER'S WORDS - Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah

  • Tom VanderMel KB8VEE
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2009

      [Reply to k8je@...]

      - S. 1755 Reported from Committee
      - Congratulations:
      - Amateur Radio: An Emergency Communication Service?
      - The GLD in Print
      - Two GLD Sections have PRB-1 Bill in Legislatures
      - Operating Courtesy
      - ARISS going Strong
      - First Waiver goes to Kentucky
      - New Canadian Driving Laws Effect Visiting Hams
      - Commercialization of Amateur Radio Webinar -- follow-up
      - Mental Meanderings
      - Tentative Schedule

      +++ S. 1755 Reported from Committee +++

      The US Senate version of The Amateur Radio Emergency Communications
      Enhancement Act of 2009 was reported by voice vote from the Homeland
      Security and Governmental Affairs Committee.  The next stop is the
      Senate floor.

      Stand by for information on how you can help move this bill forward
      through the full Senate.  S. 1755 and companion bill HR 2160 in the US
      House are the first steps toward overcoming excessively-restrictive
      codes, covenants and restrictions (CC&Rs)in real estate contracts.
      These CC&Rs ban amateurs from erecting antennas in ever-increasing
      numbers of private housing developments in the US.

      HR 2160 still needs our support.  Please write to your representative
      in the US House of Representatives urging him to support this bill.

      +++ Congratulations: +++

      * To Chris Castle, KI4BOQ of West Van Lear, KY who was named to the
      Kentucky All-State Choir for the third consecutive year.  He is a
      senior at Johnson Central High School and is the son of Ron Castle,
      KI4NM.  Great job, Chris.

      * To Ken Massie, WN8F of Ironton, OH who received the Great Lakes
      Division Director's Achievement Award for his long-time service to
      Amateur Radio and the community in the southern Ohio area.  Thanks to
      Fred Jones, WA4SWF of Louisa, KY for making the presentation on my
      behalf.

      * To Kirk Swallow, W8QID of Cincinnati and John Meyers, NB4K of Butler,
      KY for being accepted into the ARRL A-1 Operators Club.  Each of these
      became new members by being nominated by two existing members.
      Information on the A-1 Operators Club is at
      http://www.arrl.org/awards/#a1.

      +++ Amateur Radio: An Emergency Communication Service? +++

      FCC's statement that Amateur Radio is not an emergency communication
      service created furor among a number of amateurs.  They heatedly insist
      Amateur Radio is an emergency communication service.  I understand what
      they are saying, but I disagree with them.  To call the great service
      we love and enjoy an EmComm service short changes it.  Ham radio is
      much more than an EmComm service.

      The basis and purpose of Amateur Radio as the FCC lists them in Part 97
      are:

      "97.1 Basis and purpose . . . fundamental purpose as expressed in the
      following principles:

      "(a) Recognition and enhancement of the value of the amateur service to
      the public as a voluntary, non-commercial communications service
      particularly with respect in providing emergency communications.

      "(b) Continuation and extension of the amateur's proven ability to
      contribute to the advancement of the radio art.

      "(c) Encouragement and improvement of the amateur rules which provide
      for advancing skills in both the communication and technical phases of
      the art.

      "(d) Expansion of the existing reservoir within the amateur radio
      service of trained operators, technicians, and electronics experts.

      "(e) Continuation and extension of the amateur's unique ability to
      enhance international goodwill."

      Section 97.1 identifies four purposes for Amateur Radio.  Only one of
      these relates to EmComm.  By definition, Amateur Radio is more than an
      EmComm service.  Realizing this fact does not detract from ham radio as
      an important provider of emergency communication support to the public.
       It merely allows us to realize the broader value FCC places on our
      service.

      +++ The GLD in Print +++

      December QST, p. 57:  GLD member Richard Arnold, AF8X of Clinton
      Township, MI is in print.  His 2-page article describes moving from
      using a straight key to semi-automatic and automatic keys to operate
      CW.

      Last month, I missed mentioning Matt Severin, K8MS of Traverse City, MI
      who participated in the 2009 Teachers Institute Advanced Satellite
      Workshop.  Matt's picture is on p. 76 of the November QST.  I also have
      misplaced a reference to an article in a recent issue of QEX by another
      GLD member.  Sorry.

      +++ Two GLD Sections have PRB-1 Bill in Legislatures +++

      Both the Michigan and Ohio Sections have PRB-1 bills in their
      respective state legislatures.  The Michigan bill, Michigan HB 5556,
      and the Ohio bill, Ohio HB 212, need member support.  To learn how you
      can help make Michigan and Ohio members of the growing group of states
      to adopt PRB-1 legislation, please contact the PRB-1 committee
      managers.  These are PRB-1 Committee Project Manager Len Todd, N8AGS
      (n8ags@...) and Ohio State Project Manager Steve Katz, N8WL
      (n8wl@...).

      The Michigan bill may be found at
      http://www.prb1michigan.org/id17.html; the Ohio bill at
      http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bills.cfm?ID=128_HB_212.

      A companion bill to Ohio HB 212 will be introduced into the Ohio Senate
      within a few days.

      These bills are very passable.  Work is needed to get this done.  Over
      50% of the states in the US have already passed similar bills.  None of
      these bills add costs to local or state budgets.  They simply will put
      the provisions of FCC PRB-1 into state law.  Doing this will make it
      much more apparent to local governments it is illegal summarily to ban
      the amateur antenna structures or to exercise excessive control over
      their height.  Passing the state "PRB-1" bills will put existing
      federal "law" into state law.

      Please contact your Michigan and Ohio state legislators by mail, fax,
      e-mail, telephone or in person to ask them to support these bills.

      +++ Operating Courtesy +++

      Our ability to drive on streets and highways in reasonable safety
      depends on orderly driving practices by our fellow drivers and us.  Our
      ability to conduct day-to-day business depends largely on basic honesty
      between other people and us.  So too, our ability to operate and enjoy
      Amateur Radio depends on mutual courtesy between our fellow amateurs
      and us.

      To exist in harmony with each other, we need to respect the needs and
      rights of each other.  When it comes to this, all that is needed it to
      observe the Golden Rule -- Do unto others as you would have them do
      unto you.

      It is unfortunate that too many hams overlook the Golden Rule.  Instead
      they fail to observe good operating practices and FCC regulations when
      operating.  This occurs most noticeably, but not totally, during
      contests and DX pileups.

      I refer to the bad operating that occurs when in their eagerness to
      compete, contesters or DXers thoughtlessly transmit on top of ongoing
      QSOs.  Equally bad is when a member of a scheduled net or QSO acts as
      though the frequency belongs to them and barges into another QSO,
      contest or DX pileup to claim the frequency by brute force.  Either
      situation represents poor operating practice -- and maybe a flagrant
      rules violation.

      There are gray areas associated with QRM.  These gray areas often occur
      as propagation shifts.  As this shift occurs, distant,
      previously-unheard stations may come into range . . . right on top of
      an ongoing QSO or net.

      When propagation shift results in QRM, which station is at fault?
      Neither, probably.  The situation is an act of the propagation gods.
      Yet, much of the time we hear one or both stations complain ad nauseum
      about the discourteous behavior of the other guy who suddenly started
      to QRM.  Never mind that the other guy may have been on frequency for
      at least as long as the other operator.

      A mature operating attitude is all that is needed to resolve
      coincidental QRM such as this.  Someone probably should QSY.

      If you are a net control or net manager, the message is that the net
      does not own a frequency; any frequency.  Most NTS nets of which I am
      aware understand this and act accordingly.  Members of a few other nets
      sometimes seem to be uneducated about this fact and often try to
      capture "their" frequency by stomping all over (technical term) other
      operators.

      Courtesy is a free, readily-available commodity.  It should be
      exercised more frequently and more fully.

      +++ ARISS going Strong +++

      The Amateur Radio on the International Space Station (ARISS) program is
      going strong.  Updates about earth-ISS QSO scheds and other aspects of
      the program are sufficiently plentiful to cause ARISS team mentor
      Charlie Sulfana, AJ9N to send bulletins about the program on a weekly
      or semi-weekly basis.  Members who attended the Great Lakes Division
      Symposium this past September will remember Charlie as one of the
      presenters at this gathering.

      Information on the ARISS program can be obtained by going to
      http://www.amsat.org/amsat/ariss/news/arissnews.rtf.

      +++ First Waiver goes to Kentucky +++

      The first waiver granted by FCC to allow employees to communicate via
      Amateur Radio on behalf of their employers was issued to the Kentucky
      Department of Communications Affairs, Robert L. Stephens, Emergency
      Communications Supervisor.  Bob is Amateur Radio licensee WA4CMO.  The
      waiver granted a single, 9-hour exception to Section 97.113 of the
      Commission's rules.

      As stated in part in the FCC letter of waiver,

      "This letter grants your request . . . for a waiver to permit certain
      Amateur Radio Service licensees who are employees of the Commonwealth
      of Kentucky to transmit communications on behalf of their employer
      during an upcoming government emergency drill."

      The emergency drill for which the waiver was granted was a "major
      Chemical Stockpile Emergency Preparedness Exercise."

      A recent FCC Public Notice stated that waivers to 97.113 may be granted
      only for individual government-sponsored drills and only following
      submission of written requests that detail the drill and its
      participants.

      +++ New Canadian Driving Laws Effect Visiting Hams +++

      In looking into the impact of the new Ontario law that requires
      operation of mobile, two-way radios to be hands free, it was learned
      that Quebec also has a law that impacts Amateur Radio.  In Quebec,
      driving while holding a hand-held device with a "telephone function" is
      outlawed.  This is true even though the telephone function is not being
      used. There is no exemption for amateurs.

      In Ontario, the new, hands-free law applies immediately to
      non-residents.  Ontario residents are granted a 3-year grace period
      before the law is enforced.  These new laws appear to be consistent
      with Canadian-US treaty regarding Amateur Radio.

      Finally, Manitoba has passed a hands-free law that is not yet in force.
       Enforcement will begin only after detailed regulations have been
      completed.

      Thanks to Marsha Fleming, N8FE of Oak Park, MI for obtaining much of
      this information from Richard Ferch, VE3KI of Ontario.  Rich is Vice
      President, Regulatory Affairs of the Radio Amateurs of Canada (RAC).
      The RAC is the national organization for radio amateurs in Canada.

      +++ Commercialization of Amateur Radio Webinar -- follow-up +++

      The October webinar was great.  ARRL General Counsel Chris Imlay, W3KD
      and ARRL Regulatory Manager, Dan Henderson, N1ND discussed Section
      97.113 of the FCC rules, including the recent Public Notice that
      clarified this section.  Several excellent questions were asked by
      participants.  Nearly 1000 joined in this online seminar.

      Audio of the presentation can be downloaded at www.atldiv.org/training.
       A CD that includes video is also available through the site.  The cost
      of the CD is only $5 plus $2.41 shipping to total $7.41.

      Thanks to Atlantic Division Director Bill Edgar, N3LLR for hosting this
      event and for opening it and other webinars to GLD members.

      +++ Mental Meanderings +++

      Two brief points --

      Club Newsletters:  I enjoy reading club newsletters.  If your club is
      sending me its newsletter by USPS, this is fine.  However, if the
      newsletter is also published online, please save money by e-mailing it
      to me or notifying me where I can find it.  If your newsletter is not
      being sent to me, I will appreciate being added to your distribution
      list.

      Reprinting from Weaver's Words:  Feel free to reprint from this
      e-newsletter.  The only requests are that the reprint remains faithful
      to the context in which it was written and that Weaver's Words be cited
      as the source.  This request is to help ensure that personal statements
      I make in it are not viewed as official ARRL Board policy.

      Finally, I hope each of you and your families had a very nice
      Thanksgiving.  I wish you a very Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah or any
      other occasion you may observe.

      +++ Tentative Schedule +++

      Beginning with 2010, activities scheduled to be attended by a Division
      representative will be listed on this schedule as soon as attending
      them is set.  In addition, all ARRL-sanctioned hamfests in the Division
      will be listed three months in advance of their scheduled month.

      1  Dec: Cincinnati FM Club Dinner - Jim
      6  Dec: l'Anse Creuse ARC Hamfest, Mt. Clemens, MI
      14 Dec: Director Teleconference - Jim
      8  Jan: Dayton ARA presentation - Jim
      11 Jan: Director Teleconference - Jim
      14 Jan: A&F Committee, Newington, CT - Jim
      15-16 Jan: Board of Directors, Windsor, CT - Gary, Jim
      17 Jan: SMARS Hamfest, Marshall, MI
      17 Jan: SCARF Hamfest, Nelsonville, OH
      31 Jan: TUSCO Hamfest, Strasburg, OH
      6  Feb: HARA Swap & Shop, Negaunee, MI
      7  Feb: NOARS Winter Hamfest, Lorain, OH
      11 Feb: SW Ohio DXA presentation - Jim
      13 Feb: Cherryland Hamfest, Traverse City, MI
      14 Feb: Midwinter Hamfest, Mansfield, OH - Jim
      21 Feb: Livonia Swap n Shop, Livonia, MI
      6  Mar: Mammoth Cave ARC, Cave City, KY - Jim
      20 Mar: Michigan Crossroads Hamfest, Marshall, MI - Jim
      20 Jun: Monroe Hamfest, Monroe, OH - Jim
      11 Sep: Greater Louisville Hamfest, Shepherdsville, KY - Jim

      Jim Weaver, K8JE, Director
      ARRL Great Lakes Division
      5065 Bethany Rd.
      Mason, OH 45040
      E-mail:  k8je@..., Tel.: 513-459-1661
      ARRL - The national association for Amateur Radio

      Jim Weaver, K8JE
      5065 Bethany Rd.
      Mason, OH 45040
      E-mail:  k8je@...; Tel. 459-1661

      ARRL Great Lakes Division
      Director: James Weaver, K8JE
      k8je@...
      This message is being sent to you via the ARRL Members Only Web site.
      If you do not want to receive further messages, go to the site at:
      http://www.arrl.org/members-only/memdata.html?modify=1
      Log in with your username and password and change your email options.
      Unchecking the "News and information from your Division Director and
      Section Manager" box will prevent messages such as this one from
      being sent to you.
      -- webmaster@...