Re: [WestMichiganHams] SX-88 Time Machine

  • Al Pepping
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 29, 2009
      To the best of my recollection, Joe Walsh WB6ACU bought an SX88 a few years ago and paid 10 grand for it...I believe then it was the highest price ever paid for a receiver on E-Bay.   At least that was the story going around .   Probably not the record any more.  I could have bought an SX-88  from my neighbor, W2INQ, before he moved to AZ, for $400.00.  I procrastinated about a day too long and Don sold it to another ham, I have been kicking myself ever since.   When you snooze, you lose.....
             From the "Radio by Hallicrafter's" book by THE Hallicrafter's expert, Chuck Dachis, the SX 88 was made in 1954-55 and there were 3 production runs.  It sold for $595.00, about the same price that you could buy the new Collins 75-A4 which came out in 1955. .  It is the most sought after Hallicrafters radio model.  Interesting to note unlike most of the high end radios of that era, the SX88 covered 535 kHz to 33 mHz. In 6 bands.  The Collins 75-A4 is a ham band only receiver but did have 160 and 11 meters on it ( yes, 11 meters used to be a ham band which the FCC took away from us in the later 1950's to create the citizens radio service) and had enough band spread on 160 to tune WWV at 2.5 mHz.   IMHO, even this Hallicrafters model was no match for the quality and workmanship of the 75 A4.   It will be interesting to see what this one on E Bay tops out at.

      AL....KV8X