Re: [WestMichiganHams] SE WI looking for SW MI TONIGHT on 146.43 FM -- 8:30pm eastern

  • Mark Strait
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 8, 2009
      Hello Chris,

      One of the cool things about ham radio is building and experimenting. I’m currently entering that phase now that I have my General ticket as of Oct.3, 09.
      Building antennas seems to more enjoyable than buying. It is also cheaper.
      I have made some long distance shots on my Yaesu VX-7R using a hand held antenna design for satellites; however the contact was weak and often lost very quickly. You can make a more permanent antenna inside your home.
      Here are some sites that I have found to be very helpful. Good luck.
      73,
      Mark Strait  KD8BIG

      Ham Radio Stealth

      http://www.n0hr.com/hamradio/139/10/ham_radio0.htm

      Indoor, Attic Amateur Radio Station Aerials, M0SBF Antennas

      http://www.stevelarkins.freeuk.com/antennas.htm

      Amateur Radio Antenna Projects

      http://www.ac6v.com/antprojects.htm

      Stealth Amateur Radio

      http://www.g4ilo.com/stealth.html

      antenna : Antennas: Stealth

      http://www.dxzone.com/catalog/Antennas/Stealth/

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 8, 2009

        These are great suggestions, but I guess I should have mentioned that I am blind, so building is a bit difficult, and for some odd reason, the state of Michigan doesn't give blind people drivers licenses.  I'm working on getting that changed, but noone wants to sign the petition to get that issue on the ballet.  *laughs*

        Chris, w8cjs

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 8, 2009

          Another antenna for sat operation is a quagi. they are very simple to build and work well. I have built both 2M and 70Cm versions. Used the for field day Sat contact.

          for all kinds of antenna projeects. To many antennas and not enough time.

          73s