Re: [WestMichiganHams] SE WI looking for SW MI TONIGHT on 146.43 FM -- 8:30pm eastern

  • Todd Sprinkmann
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 8, 2009
      Tnx for the email and your interest Chris. I hope someone
      can help you with a solution. I'm far more of a promoter than
      a solution guy. The 5 watts with an H/T ham better be content
      working very local stuff. If you want more, you have to make
      some changes. You said as much in your email.

      I like to tell guys/gals that are antenna restricted the best
      revenge is to op mobile, or portable from locations high up.
      And with more than 5 watts. I do know of a guy in central ILL
      who goes portable with 10 watts and long horizontal yagis on
      SSB, but he's very patient...

      If you're bored and want to see how some hams REALLY
      get into the whole mobile operations thing, here's a link:
      http://www.k0nr.com/rwitte/rover.html or try
      http://commfaculty.fullerton.edu/woverbeck/rover.htm
      There are a few dozen guys like this within several hundred
      miles of us. They go out in contests and sprints and make us
      home stations *very* happy.

      Chris, I hope you can figure out a solution. Maybe others
      on the list have the same issue and a discussion can be started...

      I like to remind people that when you hit "reply" to these
      Yahoo groups, it automatically gets sent back out to the
      whole list. No big deal to me, but I've seen a few instances
      in the past where it's tripped people up.

      73,
      Todd KC9BQA EN63 40 N of Milwaukee
      http://www.kc9bqa.com For Frequent VHF/UHF Updates

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 8, 2009
        Hello Chris,

        One of the cool things about ham radio is building and experimenting. I’m currently entering that phase now that I have my General ticket as of Oct.3, 09.
        Building antennas seems to more enjoyable than buying. It is also cheaper.
        I have made some long distance shots on my Yaesu VX-7R using a hand held antenna design for satellites; however the contact was weak and often lost very quickly. You can make a more permanent antenna inside your home.
        Here are some sites that I have found to be very helpful. Good luck.
        73,
        Mark Strait  KD8BIG

        Ham Radio Stealth

        http://www.n0hr.com/hamradio/139/10/ham_radio0.htm

        Indoor, Attic Amateur Radio Station Aerials, M0SBF Antennas

        http://www.stevelarkins.freeuk.com/antennas.htm

        Amateur Radio Antenna Projects

        http://www.ac6v.com/antprojects.htm

        Stealth Amateur Radio

        http://www.g4ilo.com/stealth.html

        antenna : Antennas: Stealth

        http://www.dxzone.com/catalog/Antennas/Stealth/

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 8, 2009

          These are great suggestions, but I guess I should have mentioned that I am blind, so building is a bit difficult, and for some odd reason, the state of Michigan doesn't give blind people drivers licenses.  I'm working on getting that changed, but noone wants to sign the petition to get that issue on the ballet.  *laughs*

          Chris, w8cjs

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 8, 2009

            Another antenna for sat operation is a quagi. they are very simple to build and work well. I have built both 2M and 70Cm versions. Used the for field day Sat contact.

            for all kinds of antenna projeects. To many antennas and not enough time.

            73s