Re: [WestMichiganHams] SE WI looking for SW MI TONIGHT on 146.43 FM -- 8:30pm eastern

  • Chris Schulte
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 8, 2009
      I'd love to check into this net, but I have power and antenna restrictions, if someone can come up with a good way to make an antenna that I can keep in my apartment that will allow me to run some power, I'd really appreciate it, as is, I'm stuck with a magmount on my radiator and five watts from my ht.

      Chris, w8cjs
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 8, 2009
        Tnx for the email and your interest Chris. I hope someone
        can help you with a solution. I'm far more of a promoter than
        a solution guy. The 5 watts with an H/T ham better be content
        working very local stuff. If you want more, you have to make
        some changes. You said as much in your email.

        I like to tell guys/gals that are antenna restricted the best
        revenge is to op mobile, or portable from locations high up.
        And with more than 5 watts. I do know of a guy in central ILL
        who goes portable with 10 watts and long horizontal yagis on
        SSB, but he's very patient...

        If you're bored and want to see how some hams REALLY
        get into the whole mobile operations thing, here's a link:
        http://www.k0nr.com/rwitte/rover.html or try
        http://commfaculty.fullerton.edu/woverbeck/rover.htm
        There are a few dozen guys like this within several hundred
        miles of us. They go out in contests and sprints and make us
        home stations *very* happy.

        Chris, I hope you can figure out a solution. Maybe others
        on the list have the same issue and a discussion can be started...

        I like to remind people that when you hit "reply" to these
        Yahoo groups, it automatically gets sent back out to the
        whole list. No big deal to me, but I've seen a few instances
        in the past where it's tripped people up.

[...]

        10/08/09 06:39:00
      • Mark Strait
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 8, 2009
          Hello Chris,

          One of the cool things about ham radio is building and experimenting. I’m currently entering that phase now that I have my General ticket as of Oct.3, 09.
          Building antennas seems to more enjoyable than buying. It is also cheaper.
          I have made some long distance shots on my Yaesu VX-7R using a hand held antenna design for satellites; however the contact was weak and often lost very quickly. You can make a more permanent antenna inside your home.
          Here are some sites that I have found to be very helpful. Good luck.
          73,
          Mark Strait  KD8BIG

          Ham Radio Stealth

          http://www.n0hr.com/hamradio/139/10/ham_radio0.htm

          Indoor, Attic Amateur Radio Station Aerials, M0SBF Antennas

          http://www.stevelarkins.freeuk.com/antennas.htm

          Amateur Radio Antenna Projects

          http://www.ac6v.com/antprojects.htm

          Stealth Amateur Radio

          http://www.g4ilo.com/stealth.html

          antenna : Antennas: Stealth

          http://www.dxzone.com/catalog/Antennas/Stealth/

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 8, 2009

            These are great suggestions, but I guess I should have mentioned that I am blind, so building is a bit difficult, and for some odd reason, the state of Michigan doesn't give blind people drivers licenses.  I'm working on getting that changed, but noone wants to sign the petition to get that issue on the ballet.  *laughs*

            Chris, w8cjs

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 8, 2009

              Another antenna for sat operation is a quagi. they are very simple to build and work well. I have built both 2M and 70Cm versions. Used the for field day Sat contact.

              for all kinds of antenna projeects. To many antennas and not enough time.

              73s