146.43 FM net *ON* tonight -- 9:30pm. DX Galore last night on 144 SSB

  • kc9bqa
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2009
      Hello from just across the lake, 40 miles north of Milwaukee.

      In every ham group, there are a few who enjoy reaching out farther with their stations. I email a lot of hams to make sure I'm not missing anyone who feels the same way I do. A LOT of hams moan about how activity has gone downhill. That may be true, but I prefer to DO something about it. We've got lots of good activity going on over in E WI, and we're looking to include W MI as well. For some of you, working across the lake should be fairly easy.

      The info below is what I sent out this afternoon to a variety of groups in S WI:

      Conditions got very good for the SSB nets last night --
      especially later on. Several newer guys in the Milwaukee area
      worked grids such as EN47 (N. Minn) , EM27, EM29 and EM25 (SW Mo, K.C, Mo. and E Okla.) after 9-11pm. Yes, they have horizontal beams, but they'd be the first to tell you they don't have superstations. These were 400-600 mile paths on 144 SSB, and this sort of thing happens more often than 90% of hams realize.

      It was a good night to stay up and play VHF. Some details from last night are up on the website http://www.kc9bqa.com

      With no change in the weather pattern, it's a good bet that enhanced conditions will continue, especially in the later evening thru early-mid morning hours. Get on the air and enjoy it.

      It's also worth noting that after the 146.43 FM net last week, I heard no less than 6 separate Q's in progress across the 146 and 147 simplex bands. No, not all were strong, but the weaker signals are the most interesting! ;)

      Here's to a good net tonight and to everyone doing their part to increase activity, at any time. Please spread the word about VHF to any ham with an interest. If you have specific questions, email me and I will try to help.

      73,
      Todd KC9BQA EN63ao 40 N of Milwaukee
      http://www.kc9bqa.com For Frequent VHF/UHF Updates