Monthly Michigan Section News Summary

  • Tom VanderMel KB8VEE
    Message 1 of 28 , Aug 17, 2009
> [...]
      > and
      > having this new position will allow the more effective use of available
      > resources to assist in achieving the DRG's goals. You may check the DRG
      > website for further organization details. http://www.mi-drg.org/
      > Interested
      > persons may contact Jay at WB8TKL@...
      >
      > Hey! It's Not Always the Repeater! is the title of an interesting
      > article
      > written by Ray Abraczinskas, W8HVG. Space limitations do not permit it to
      > appear in this e-mail, but it is posted in the Michigan Section News for
      > August on the ARRL Michigan Section page at http://www.arrl-mi.org
      >

      > Michigan nets reporting for June (in order of traffic count): QMN, MiTN,
      > MiVHF, MACS, UPN, TMMTN, WSSBN, SEMTN, NLEUP, Motor City, MiARPSC, Kent
      > County, Hiawatha, Chelsea.
      >
      > The NTS team contributed 2079 Operator-hours for a $4,2061 in-kind
      > contribution to our citizens. You will find the complete reports on NTS
      > at:
      > http://www.mi-nts.org/. The Michigan ARPSC contributed 4434 operator
      > hours
      > for a total of $80,294 to the citizens of Michigan.
      >
      > Station Activity Reports (SARs) for July, 2009: WB9JSR 606, WB8WKQ 280,
      > AC8AR 195, K8RDN 130, KD8AAD 129, K8KV 109, K8AMR 66, KC8MLD 64, AB8SY 48,
      > KB8GT 47, W8RNQ 42, KD8HPF 42, WB8RCR 40, WD8USA 26, W8QZ 21, KD8CYK 18,
      > KC8BMV 9, WA8OOH 6, KC8ZGB 1.
      > AC8AR 405, WB8RCR 283, K8RDN 267, KB8GT 230, K8AMR 182, WD8USA 156, WB9JSR
      > 130, K8KV 80, WB8WKQ 80, KD8CYK 78, AB8SY 67, KD8AAD 61, KD8HPF 47.
      >
      > To report your net's monthly activities, contact wb8rcr@....
      > Complete
      > monthly net report details are at http://www.mi-nts.org/netreport.php.
      > All
      > nets are encouraged to report and this especially includes all local ARES
      > and
      > RACES nets.
      >
      > PSHRs and SARs should be filed monthly with WB8RCR. You can access a
      > simple reporting form at: http://www.mi-nts.org/PSHR_entry.shtml to
      > provide
      > your reports to John. In all cases, reporting by radiogram is
      > encouraged --
      > let's keep the NTS busy. Packet messages can be routed to
      > wb8rcr@... and wa8efk@....
      >
      > 73 until next month,
      > Dale WA8EFK

      > ARRL Michigan Section
      > Section Manager: Dale R. Williams, WA8EFK
      > wa8efk@...
      > This message is being sent to you via the ARRL Members Only Web site.
      > If you do not want to receive further messages, go to the site at:
      > http://www.arrl.org/members-only/memdata.html?modify=1
      > Log in with your username and password and change your email options.
      > Unchecking the "News and information from your Division Director and
      > Section Manager" box will prevent messages such as this one from
    • Tom VanderMel KB8VEE
      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 17, 2009
> [...]
        > Chelsea, Kent County Red Cross.
        >
        > For the month of August, the NTS team contributed 2232 Operator-hours
        > for a
        > $45,196 in-kind contribution to our citizens. You will find the complete
        > reports on NTS at: http://www.mi-nts.org/. The Michigan ARPSC contributed
        > 6805 operator hours for a total of $137,807 to the citizens of Michigan.
        > Check http://www.mi-arpsc.org/ and look at the FSD 212 results to see how
        > your local ARES/RACES organization contributed for your local citizens.
        >
        > Station Activity Reports (SARs) for August, 2009: WB9JSR 585, WB8WKQ
        > 416,
        > K8LJG 232, AC8AR 187, K8RDN 172, K8KV 138, KD8AAD 100, KD8HPF 74, K8AMR
        > 63,
        > KB8GT 54, W8RNQ 41, WB8RCR 41, K8VFZ 30, WD8USA 19, W8QZ 10, WA8OOH 7,
        > KD8CYK
        > 5, AC8AL 5, KC8ZGB 2, KC8BMV 1, VE3DWI 1. Missed in last month's report
        > was
        > K8LJG, who totaled 281.
        >
        > Public Service Honor Roll reports PSHRs for August, 2009: AC8AR 340,
        > WB8RCR
        > 256, K8MFK 185, K8RDN 175, WB9JSR 170, KJ8O 160, AB8JR 155, K8AMR 148,
        > WF5X
        > 145, AC8AL 135, WD8USA 134, KB8GT 120, KC8FYQ 110, N8GUZ 105, K8VFZ 93,
        > KD8AAD 92, KB8POD 90, KD8ATI 80, K8KV 80, WB8SBI 80, W8JJR 65, KD8CYK 63,
        > N8AO 60, KD8ATK 55, KD8CMD 55, KE8UM 55, KD8HPF 52, WD8KTW 50, K8ABZ 50,
        > WD8JCN 46, AB8SA 45, K8SJD 40, WB8NXP 40, KD8GYZ 35, KD8GYY 30, KA8PEH 30,
        > KD8FOR 30, KD8DLV 30, KD8HXJ 30, KD8KTK 30, KD8EWK 25, AB8JN 25, N8LBS 20,
        > K7SDF 20, W8QZ 16, KC8SZR 15.
        >
        > To report your net's monthly activities, contact wb8rcr@....
        > Complete
        > monthly net report details are at http://www.mi-nts.org/netreport.php.
        > All
        > nets are encouraged to report and this especially includes all local ARES
        > and
        > RACES nets.
        >
        > PSHRs and SARs should be filed monthly with WB8RCR. You can access a
        > simple reporting form at: http://www.mi-nts.org/PSHR_entry.shtml to
        > provide
        > your reports to John. In all cases, reporting by radiogram is
        > encouraged --
        > let's keep the NTS busy. Packet messages can be routed to
        > wb8rcr@... and wa8efk@....
        >
        > 73 until next month,
        > Dale WA8EFK

        > ARRL Michigan Section
        > Section Manager: Dale R. Williams, WA8EFK
        > wa8efk@...
        > This message is being sent to you via the ARRL Members Only Web site.
        > If you do not want to receive further messages, go to the site at:
        > http://www.arrl.org/members-only/memdata.html?modify=1
        > Log in with your username and password and change your email options.
        > Unchecking the "News and information from your Division Director and
        > Section Manager" box will prevent messages such as this one from
      • Tom VanderMel KB8VEE
        Message 3 of 28 , Oct 28, 2009

          Greetings Michigan Amateurs:

             I am seeing some good news as far as one of the favorite ham radio
          activities: hamfests.  Attendance seems to be increasing in recent months and
          sponsors are becoming more innovative in developing activities that will
          increase the crowds.  Forums and meeting rooms have been made available and
          attendance at these sessions appears to be growing.  There are a lot of
          reasons we all attend swaps, whether it is to buy, sell, swap, bargain,
          visit, have eyeball QSOs, attend meetings and forums, enjoy a banquet or just
          have a good time, hamfest sponsors are certainly being more accommodating to
          everyone in attendance.  I certainly encourage everyone to keep up the
          innovative ideas.  While you are thinking about it, invite a new ham or two
          to attend the next hamfest with you.

             Every once in a while, someone comes along with a unique contribution in
          the form of Words of Wisdom.  This month Jay WB8TKL sends the following
          along, an item which comes from a person at FEMA as it relates to
          communications interoperability.  "...His formula is this: Effective
          Interoperability = T2 + P2 * R where T2 is Training and Technology, P2 is
          Planning and Policies, and the FORCE MULTIPLIER, R, is RELATIONSHIPS.
          Because all the technology and training and planning and policies in the
          world STILL adds up to ZERO without the RELATIONSHIPS!"  Clearly said, that
          is what we all must keep at the forefront of all our activities.  These are
          wise words for all of us.

             The Blossomland ARA has elected officers for 2009-2010: President N8KBG,
          1st VP KD8ZB, 2nd VP KF8Z, 3rd VP KC8YTA, Secretary WA8ALK, Treasurer WB8VIM,
          PIO N8MS, and Trustee W8JBA.  Marinette & Menominee Radio Club 2009-2010
          officers were elected at the September meeting.  President K8IR, VP KS8O,
          Secretary KD8ESH, Treasurer AA9GZ, and Quartermaster KG8CX.  The membership
          of the Midland Amateur Radio Club also held elections for club officers.
          Elected were President KC8ITI, VP KB8UIH, Secretary KC8MUD, and Treasurer
          WB8PBL.

             Our efforts to have the State of Michigan codify PRB-1 are continuing.  A
          draft of the proposed legislation supporting a state regulation limiting
          local involvement in regulating amateur radio antennas has been submitted and
          is undergoing legislative committee review.  For the latest updates and
          determining how you can help, make frequent checks at the PRB1 web site:
          http://www.prb1michigan.org/  We are asking all Michigan hams to review this
          information and support the PRB-1 Committee efforts.

             Thanks to our Section Appointees and everyone who has been reporting their
          amateur radio activities consistently.  We in Michigan can take a great deal
          of pride for this accomplishment.  Every ARRL Appointee agrees during their
          appointment process to provide a report on a monthly basis.  What does this
          accomplish?  Well first, it lets the Section Leadership Team know that you
          are active and making progress.  Second, it lets us report to served agencies
          that we, as a team of radio amateurs, are living up to their expectations.
          Third, it let the Section Staff know if you need additional resources.
          Fourth, you continue to demonstrate your support for the rest of your fellow
          appointees and the job they are doing.  Again, thanks for the complete job
          you do!

             The unsung heroes in the ARRL Field Organization are a group of amateurs
          who serve as Official Observers and members of the ARRL Amateur Auxiliary.
          These folks expend a considerable amount of time to insure that we all do not
          stray from good operating practices.  They are active as constant monitors of
          our frequencies.  They award "Good Guy" reports to those hams who show
          exemplary operating habits and skills.  Of course, they also assist those of
          us who may err in operating, stray out of band or have a technical problem.
          While we are fortunate to have a good number of OOs in the state, there is
          room for a few more operators who may be in a position to assist in this
          noble venture.  You may contact your Section Manager if you have any interest
          in becoming an OO.

             Michigan nets reporting for September (in order of traffic count): QMN,
          MiTN, MiVHF, MACS, UPN, SEMTN, TMMTN, NLEUP, Motor City, Hiawatha, MiARPSC,
          Chelsea, Kent County Red Cross.

             The NTS team contributed 1788 Operator-hours for a $36,202 in-kind
          contribution to our citizens. You will find the complete reports on NTS at:
          http://www.mi-nts.org/.  The Michigan ARPSC contributed 8543 operator hours
          for a total of $173,000 to the citizens of Michigan.

             Station Activity Reports (SARs) for September, 2009: WB9JSR 621, WB8WKQ
          523, AC8AR 408, K8RDN 199, K8KV 189, K8LJG 179, KC8AAD 117, KB8GT 69, K8AMR
          53, W8RNQ 41, WB8RCR 37, KC8MLD 32, WD8USA 32, KD8HPF 27, W8QZ 25, KD8CYK 13,
          KC8BMV 8, WA8OOH 3, KC8ZGB 1.

             Public Service Honor Roll Reports (PSHRs)  for September, 2009: AC8AR 365,
          WB8RCR 299, WD8USA 162, K8MFK 150, K8RDN 135, WB9JSR 130, NX8A 114, K8AMR
          105, KB8GT 100, WB8WKQ 89, K8KV 80, KD8CYK 63, KC8AAD 59, KD8HPF 35, W8QZ 34.

          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 16, 2009
            Greetings Michigan Amateurs:

              NEW AWARD.  For years we have recognized the efforts of our traffic handlers
            with the Brass Pounder's League award, DXers are acknowledged by the DXCC
            Awards program, while many other groups receive similar kudos for their
            efforts.  But little has gone into officially recognizing the efforts of our
            Emergency Coordinators / RACES Radio Officers and their local organizations.
            Yet, this group remains constantly active in training and preparing us to
            activate in an emergency.  Therefore, the Michigan Section is taking the step
            to create and award for these ECs to be known as the Amateur Radio Public
            Service Corps (ARPSC) Honor Roll.  A key part of each EC's commitment is to
            report monthly on the activities of his group.  These reports let us know
            that the program is alive and well, how many participants there are, and how
            many operator hours have actually been devoted to public service in the
            community.  Our Section Emergency Coordinator / State Radio Officer (SEC/SRO)
            WB8RCR consolidates these reports monthly and provides them to the State
            Police Homeland Security/Emergency Management Division and local Emergency
            Managers to document the public service activity levels in each county.
            There are number of ECs who are very consistent in fulfilling this important
            obligation, setting a performance quality example for their peers and they
            deserve to be recognized.  So I am pleased to announce those EC/ROs whose
            counties have achieved 100% reporting for the year will become members of the
            new Michigan ARPSC Honor Roll.  A full report will appear here in January.

              PRB-1 UPDATE:  Now officially House Bill # 5556, an amendment to the
            Michigan Zoning Enabling Act.  The effort continues at an increased pace and
            now your contribution is needed.  Please write your Michigan State
            Representative asking for support on this legislation.  Your legislator's
            contact information can be found at http://house.michigan.gov/find_a_rep.asp.
              A copy of Bill 5556 can be found at http://www.prb1michigan.org/id17.html.
            A personal letter is always best, but we also encourage clubs to send
            supporting letters with multiple signatures.  Our elected officials view this
            type of correspondence as more sincere than "factory-generated" e-mail.
            Please consider sending your supporting letter very soon.  Further
            information is available on the Michigan PRB1 Web site:
            http://www.prb1michigan.org/

              CLUB ELECTIONS: For the Arrow ARC, Ann Arbor: President KD8APB; Secretary
            W8FSA; Treasurer KC8QCZ; Activities KD8GWX; Technical Coordinator WB8TKL;
            Public Service Officer W8ISS.  Congratulations to these newly elected
            officers.

              TRAINING: The Michigan ARRL Section's plans for a Microprocessor Class have
            continued to mature after we received several expressions of interest
            following last month's Section News. Thanks to everyone who responded.  We
            are putting the class material together now and attempting to secure a
            suitable venue.  Please let me know if you would like to be added to the
            contact list:  wa8efk@...

              HAMFEST Listings in Michigan for the next 6 months -- The ARRL Michigan
            Section plans to represent the League at these upcoming functions and we hope
            to see you there:
            Jan 17 Hazel Park
            Feb 6 Negaunee
            Feb 13 Traverse City
            Feb 21 Livonia
            Mar 20 Marshall
            Apr 3 Lowell (ARGYL)
            Apr 17 Milford
            May 1 Cadillac
            June 6 Chelsea
            June 19 Midland
            Jun 20 Monroe

              A NOTE FOR digital traffic handlers from WB2FTX:    Just to let you know
            that the NTS Digital Equipment Bank is back up at capacity, thanks to some
            recent returns, donations, and acquisitions. The equipment bank offers Pactor
            1 capable PK-232 MBX TNCs to those interested in becoming either a NTSD
            Digital Relay Station or MBO. I can upgrade these (or yours if needed) to the
            latest firmware version 7.2, which supports B1F binary compressed forwarding.
             Please spread the word around about the availability of this equipment in
            your recruitment efforts.  These TNCs are available for stations wishing to
            join NTSD either as a DRS or MBO.  Support on installation and walk
            through/talk though support is available from me. The only proviso is the
            equipment be returned to the equipment bank if the operator loses interest or
            upgrades to a better system like the SCS modems with Pactor 2 and 3... Maybe
            someday in the future the equipment bank may be able to help provide SCS
            modems, but not at this time due to cost considerations. 73 Dave WB2FTX
            Eastern Area Digital Coordinator NTS Digital Section Traffic Manager- NNJ

              REPORTS: Here are ARPSC stats for November: Total number of ARES members:
            2139,  Number of ECs reporting: 31,  Drills, tests and training sessions:
            180,  Public Service Events: 20,  Emergency Operations: 11,  Total number of
            ARES operations: 211.

              NETS: Michigan nets reporting for September (in order of traffic count):
            QMN, MiVHF, MiTN, MACS, SEMTN, UPN, TMMTN, WSSBN, GLETN, Motor City, NLEUP,
            MiARPSC, Hiawatha,  Chelsea.

              The Michigan NTS reported 2919 Operator hours worth $52,857 in November and
            the ARPSC reported 3164 Op hours at $57,293.  You will find the complete
            reports on ARPSC, ARES, NTS via links at: http://www.arrl-mi.org/.

              Station Activity Reports SARs for November, 2009: WB8WKQ 644, WB9JSR 627,
            KB8GT 204, AC8AR 204, K8RDN 196, K8LJG 162, KD8AAD 160, W8QZ 88, K8AMR 69,
            WB8RCR 49, KD8CYK 30, NX8A 30, KD8LZB 10, WA8OOH 4, KC8BMV 2, KC8MLD 0,
            KC8ZGB 0, KC8LXS 0, VE3DWI 0.

              Public Service Honor Roll Reports (PSHRs) for November, 2009: AC8AR 415,
            WB8RCR 197, K8MFK 170, WB9JSR 150, K8RDN 135, K8AMR 108, NX8A 96, KD8CYK 90,
            KB8GT 80, WB8WKQ 80, W8QZ 76, KD8AAD 62.

              Season's Greetings from Judy and me, may you have the best holiday season.

            Message 5 of 28 , Mar 16, 2010
              Greetings Michigan Amateurs:

                 2010 MICHIGAN QSO PARTY  April 17-18, 2010.  All Michigan amateurs are
              invited to mark their calendars for Saturday, April 17, 2010 for the 2010
              Michigan QSO Party (MiQP).  This is the one weekend a year when Michigan
              amateurs are in the limelight, as amateurs from across the USA and around the
              world are looking for QSOs with us.  This is a great opportunity develop HF
              operating skills, represent the great state of Michigan and last but not
              least, have a bunch of fun.  Even if you don't consider yourself a contest
              operator, you'll probably find it's a blast to jump in to work the throng who
              will be looking for Michigan QSOs.  If you've ever operated on Field Day,
              you'll certainly be ready for MiQP.

                 The operating period is a convenient twelve hours long, from noon local
              time (1600Z) until midnight local (0400Z) here in Michigan.  Stations outside
              of Michigan may only work Michigan stations, while Michigan stations may work
              anybody.  Activity takes place on the 80 thru 10 meter bands, on both phone
              and CW.  The exchange is simple: a sequential QSO number (starting with 1,
              then 2, 3...) and your location (county for Michigan stations, and state,
              province or "DX" for others).  A station may be worked once per band and
              mode, with CW QSOs counting two points and phone QSOs counting one point
              (just like Field Day).  Multipliers are states, provinces, and Michigan
              counties, counted once on phone and once on CW.  Final score is total QSO
              points times total multipliers.  See the MiQP website at http://www.miqp.org
              for complete rules.

                MiQP offers an extensive awards program, with handsome plaques awarded for
              the in-state winners of the major categories.  Certificates are awarded for
              the top single-operator score in each Michigan county, and there is a
              simultaneous competition for Michigan clubs where scores of its members are
              combined into an aggregate score for that club.  There are also categories
              and awards for mobile and multi-operator stations.

                 The separate category instituted in 2008 for Emergency Operation Center
              (EOC) stations has become a permanent part of MiQP, and continues in 2010.  A
              handsome MiQP plaque will be awarded to the highest scoring EOC station and
              certificates for second and third place. The MiQP rules defining an EOC
              station are essentially the same as for Field Day - "Michigan entries located
              at an established EOC site, activated by an individual or group, utilizing
              either permanent or temporary equipment and antennas".  This category was
              specifically created to encourage EOC stations to participate, and to
              recognize their contributions.  Eight EOC stations from around the state
              participated in 2009.

                 We are also continuing the "MiQP Rookie Of The Year" plaque instituted in
              2007, which is awarded to the top single-operator score submitted by a
              Michigan station who has never participated in MiQP before.

                 There is a wealth of information about the Michigan QSO Party available on
              the MiQP website at http://www.miqp.org, such as official log and summary
              sheets, results from past years, and free logging software.  Questions about
              MiQP can be directed via e-mail to: miqp@....  There is also an e-mail
              reflector for those interested in MiQP - details are on the web site at
              http://www.miqp.org/MiQP_Reflector.htm.  We hope to see a great turnout of
              Michigan amateurs on the air on April 17th!  73, from the MiQP Organizing
              Committee

                 THE NEW HAMS DINNER was held for the 15th time at Fire Mountain, at
              Muskegon. The occasion is to welcome new hams to the area and newly licensed
              hams to the western Michigan area.  The event is sponsored by the Lowell ARC,
              The Grand Rapids ARA, The MDXA and the Michigan ARA.  This year two new hams
              were welcomed to the area.  This is also the time when clubs present their
              awards for individual achievement.  This year, the MDXA awarded its "Pillars
              of Society" award to Major Patrick McPherson WW9E.  He was instrumental in
              the creation and administration of S.A.T.E.R.N., The Salvation Army Team
              Emergency Radio Network and he was recognized for this important achievement!
               The Michigan Amateur Radio Alliance presented its "West Michigan Ham of the
              Year" to Bill Zaidel N8VWI.  Bill is one of those special hams whom you do
              not notice until something needs to be fixed.  Bill was instrumental in
              helping start an Operation Care Coffee stop and has stepped forward to do the
              work that the rest of us cannot do.  This was the 11th year of awarding the
              "WMHOTY".

                PRB-1 UPDATE  I meet many Michigan hams at hamfests across the state and am
              often asked "What can I do to help get HB5556 passed.   Consistently, the
              answer has been "Write to your representative to ask for support for the
              bill."  I often wonder how much this request is followed.  We are all in this
              together as fellow ham operators.  What affects one of us in one community
              may not necessarily affect all of us immediately, but if each community
              legislates against antenna systems with impunity, eventually there will be an
              impact.  Perhaps you are a new Technician and not on the HF bands today, but
              what about a year from know?  Will you be holding your new General Class
              License with burning desire to install a tower only to face a zoning
              ordinance that says you cannot have one?  As a Tech, will you discover the
              fun of VHF/UHF SSB operation and find that you cannot install a decent
              antenna system?  Please check the PRB1 web page http://www.prb1michigan.org
              for updates.  We are asking all Michigan hams to write their State
              Representative to encourage support for HB5556.

                HAMFEST Listings in Michigan for the next few months -- The ARRL Michigan
              Section plans to represent the League at these upcoming functions and we hope
              to see you there:
              Mar 20 Marshall     Apr 3 Lowell (ARGYL)
              Apr 17 Milford      May 1 Cadillac
              June 5 Hudsonville  June 6 Chelsea
              June 19 Midland     Jun 20 Monroe
              Aug 7 Escanaba/UP   Sept 19 Adrian
              Oct 17 Kalamazoo

                REPORTS: Here are ARPSC stats for February: Total number of ARES members:
              1897,  Number of EC/ROs reporting: 30,  Drills, nets, tests and training
              sessions: 199,  Public Service Events: 372,  Emergency Operations: 12,  Total
              number of ARES operations: 294.  Total Operator Hours: 3768, contributed
              dollar value: $68,244.

                NETS: Michigan nets reporting for February (in order of traffic count): QMN,
              MiVHF, MiTN, MACS, SEMTN, UPN, TMMTN, GLETN, WSSBN, Hiawatha, Kent County Red
              Cross,  MiARPSC, Chelsea.  The Michigan NTS reported 1833 Operator hours
              worth $33,198 in February.

                Station Activity Reports  (SARs) for February, 2010: WB8WKQ 713, WB9JSR 698,
              KB8GT 275, K8RDN 269, K8LJG 160, NX8A 91, WB8RCR 46, KD8CYK 36, K8VFZ 33,
              KD8HPF 24, W8QZ 18, KD8LZB 14, W8RNQ 13, WD8USA 13, W8ERV 2.

                Public Service Honor Roll Reports (PSHRs) for February, 2010: KB8GT 305,
              WB8RCR 230, WB9JSR 195, K8RDN 185, NX8A 155, K8MFK 145, WD8USA 135, WB8WKQ
              120, KD8CYK 76, W8ERV 67, K8VFZ 67, W8QZ 40, KD8HPF 24.