COMMUNICATION HELP NEEDED TOMORROW FOR MUSKEGON RED CROSS DISASTER ASSESSMENT TEAMS

  • Steve Vanderhill
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 13, 2009

      From: Richard "Doc" Strait [mailto:dstlead@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, August 12, 2009 9:49 PM
      To: Steve Vanderhill
      Subject: COMMUNICATION HELP NEEDED TOMORROW FOR MUSKEGON RED CROSS DISASTER ASSESSMENT TEAMS

      Hi Steve.

      The Muskegon Oceana Newaygo Red Cross has need of additional amateur operators tomorrow to help provide radio communication to the Disaster Assessment teams that are going into Fruitport and the surrounding areas.  Communication will be between teams and back to the chapter in Muskegon .  I have some from Muskegon coming in yet most of the MCECS members and Red Cross DST radio operators are working tomorrow and not able to get the time off.  That is not a surprise to me and I say go to work because having a job in our area is rare it seems.  Lets not do something to put the job in jeopardy.  I need about eight more amateur radio operators for tomorrow.  Below are the particulars.

      Time & Location: 8am at the Muskegon Red Cross for amateur radio briefing.  Paired up with teams at 8:30am.

      Teams will be going into Fruitport and the surrounding areas to conduct disaster and damage assessment of homes in the area that Sunday’s storms rolled through.  I do not know when the teams will be done yet I do know it will not go into the evening.

      What to bring:

      Two-meter handheld.  Mic/speaker attachment is optional

      ARES/RACES ID if you have one.

      Memo Pad and pen

      Water

      Reflective Vest if you have one.

      Sunglass (optional)

      Sunblock (optional)

      Ball cap (optional)

      Mobile unit in car (optional)

      Simplex: 147.420MHz.   Repeater: 146.820MHz, standard offset with a pl of 94.8

      Dress for the weather.  Please ensure clothing is suitable, clean and neat.  No sandals or open toed shows as you will be in areas that will have nails and glass on the ground.  Remember, you represent your ARES/RACES group and amateur radio.  We want to continue making a great impression.

      Please contact Rich “Doc” Strait, AC8AL at 231-288-4222 if you are able to help.  If you can make it that early in the morning yet will be available later that morning into the afternoon then that is fine.  We are flexiable.

      Best regards,

      Richard "Doc" Strait, AC8AL

      Volunteer Disaster Services Technology (DST) Team Lead

      Red Cross serving Muskegon , Oceana and Newaygo Counties

      Cell # 231-288-4222

      www.arcmon.org

      www.qrz.com/w8nvy