New Illinois Packet Radio Group

  • Mark Thompson
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8, 2009

      Over the last couple years there has been a resurgence in interest & activity in packet radio.
      The interest is not in creating the former BBSes & networks of the 1990s, but instead in doing things packet radio is uniquely good at.

      Packet radio's resurgence started with the new application, APRS which uses packet radio. In some areas the application
      DX PacketCluster provides access via packet. More recently applications like Output & Winlink are making use of packet radio.

      As is indicated in the attached email, Illinois ARES is planning to implement the Winlink application state-wide using packet radio for user access.
      However, the Illinois ARES Digital Working Group is apparently more focused on the ARES implementation of Winlink and
      is not the appropriate forum for general discussion of packet radio or other digital modes.

      So I have created a new group, Illinois Packet Radio. The focus of the group will be to discuss packet radio usage in Illinois
      including applications using packet radio, such as APRS, Outpost, Winlink, DX PacketCluster, etc.

      We hope to also create a database of packet radio usage in the state.

      Look foward to your participation in the group.

      Thanks.

      73, Mark, WB9QZB