Variac (or Equivalent) anyone?

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2009
      Does anyone have a Variac (or equivalent variable autotransformer) which
      I could borrow? Mine seems to have lost the carbon contact on the
      rotating part, and provides zero voltage at any part of the rotation of
      the dial.

      I'm trying to make sure an AL-80 amplifier has good capacitors in the
      HV supply part of it. I was planning to "soak it in" at 30 volts up
      through120 volts so if they needed reforming from lack of use, they'd
      reform their dielectric rather than becoming a short circuit.

      Please advise by private message. Also, is there an electric shop in
      town which could provide parts for my variac? All I need is a small
      carbon brush, and probably a spring, and I'm 99.44% sure my variac would
      work.

      73 de n8xx Hg