Local TV Star

  • John Wehmer
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 2, 2006
      George (aka Skip) K8RRA, a new member of this board, is a TV star! I
      just saw him on the PBS program Great Lakes Ports o' Call describing
      the Grand Haven Musical Fountain. Nice job Skip!

      73

      John WB9JSR
    • Tom VanderMel
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 2, 2006
        Cool Skip. Will it replay again? Tom

        > George (aka Skip) K8RRA, a new member of this board, is a TV star! I
        > just saw him on the PBS program Great Lakes Ports o' Call describing
        > the Grand Haven Musical Fountain. Nice job Skip!
        >
        > 73
        >
        > John WB9JSR
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • K8MHZ
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 2, 2006
          How timely!

          He just joined the reflector today. This may be his first message from the
          reflector.

          Kudos Skip.

          Skip,

          I got the cables today from RS. The serial does not have a level converter
          so it can't be used. I can't seem to get the USB cable to work. I am still
          working on it.

          > George (aka Skip) K8RRA, a new member of this board, is a TV star! I
          > just saw him on the PBS program Great Lakes Ports o' Call describing
          > the Grand Haven Musical Fountain. Nice job Skip!
          >
          > 73
          >
          > John WB9JSR
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links
          >

          > --

        • George (Skip) VerDuin
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 2, 2006
            John, isn't "star" a bit over the top?
            It was less than even a cameo appearance.
            You might call it true "hamming"...
            And then I missed seeing it:-(

            Cheers...

            On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 23:54 +0000, John Wehmer wrote:
            George (aka Skip) K8RRA, a new member of this board, is a TV star!>SNIP<

            73
            de Skip k8rra k

          • John Wehmer (WB9JSR)

              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 2, 2006
                Thanks Mark,

                Does the application support USB as well as RS-232?
                The addressing is pretty different?

                On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 20:01 -0400, K8MHZ wrote:
                How timely!

                >SNIP<

                I got the cables today from RS.  The serial does not have a level converter
                so it can't be used.  I can't seem to get the USB cable to work.  I am still
                working on it.

                >SNIP<

                73
                de Skip k8rra k

              • K8MHZ
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 2, 2006

                  Hi Skip,

                  I am not sure, the help file is pretty poor.

                  The program is called YPlog.  I think I got it from DXzone.com

                  I am still working on it.

                  Sent: Sunday, April 02, 2006 8:42 PM
                  Subject: Re: [WestMichiganHams] Local TV Star

                  Thanks Mark,

                  Does the application support USB as well as RS-232?
                  The addressing is pretty different?

                  On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 20:01 -0400, K8MHZ wrote:
                  How timely!

                  >SNIP<

                  I got the cables today from RS.  The serial does not have a level converter
                  so it can't be used.  I can't seem to get the USB cable to work.  I am still
                  working on it.

                  >SNIP<

                  73
                  de Skip k8rra k

                  Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
                • K8MHZ
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 2, 2006

                    Skip,

                    So far no luck with either the serial cable or the USB on two different computers using two different operating systems.

                    I think I have been sold a bill of goods.  I am waiting for some more info from the guy that said the USB cable worked.  Failing that both cables will go back to RS for a refund.  I should have known better from someone that made such a claim with no further instruction as how to do it.

                    Buxxcomm has a CI-V cable for about 8 bucks plus shipping.  I really prefer not using mail order, but I guess if it works so be it.

                    Sent: Sunday, April 02, 2006 8:42 PM

                    Thanks Mark,

                    Does the application support USB as well as RS-232?
                    The addressing is pretty different?

                    On Sun, 2006-04-02 at 20:01 -0400, K8MHZ wrote:
                    How timely!

                    >SNIP<

                    I got the cables today from RS.  The serial does not have a level converter
                    so it can't be used.  I can't seem to get the USB cable to work.  I am still
                    working on it.

                    >SNIP<

                    73
                    de Skip k8rra k

                    Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.

                    Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.
                  • Bill Fries
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 4, 2006

                      All:

                      I have prepared a brief story on how to use your computer's sound card to help you send better code.  This technique will not help you receive the code so much as it will make sending code more comfortable.  Use this squeeze technique with your paddles and a keyer for endurance and nearly effortless code.

                      If you are learning to send Morse code you may be worried that your code will sound choppy or improperly sent.  When you start sending, you will sound like you stutter or briefly hesitate in the middle of a character.  These feelings are normal.  This article will explain how to send code to your computer.  The computer software will hear and evaluate your sending and give you good feedback without you having to worry you are sending choppy code on the air.

                      You will need a few items to get this process to work for you.  First, learn to send with paddles.  Do not use this method to send with a straight key.  There are many schools of thought on this subject and I come down squarely on the side of sending code using paddles and an iambic keyer. You will need a set of paddles.  Bencher and others make wonderful paddles which can be works of art.  You can make your own paddles or a single lever key.  Ask to see my wonderful Italian paddles.  Beautiful, and expensive.  You need a transceiver that is capable of transmitting code although you will not transmit the code.  You will need a keyer.  Some transceivers will have a keyer built inside.  The keyer will interpret your paddle and translate the paddle closures into a sidetone or the sound of code from the radio.  The keyer could be an outboard keyer but this adds another complication.  However you might like an outboard keyer.  And you will use a computer to listen to your rig's sidetone and interpret the Morse code you are sending.  Finally get a shareware software program called CWGet.  This software hears your rig's sidetone through the sound card and interprets your code.

                      The initial step is to set up the radio to think it is sending Morse code.  Usually you will put the rig into CW mode.  Then you switch OUT the break in feature.  The break in tells the rig to transmit the CW (which, during practice you do not want to happen).  The CW mode and no break in will tell the rig to only sound the rig's sidetone on each key stroke.  The computer hears the sidetone and the software interprets the tones.

                      Now, choose a frequency somewhere and it does not have to be in the amateur bands because you are not transmitting.  Your chosen frequency should be quiet and when you tap the paddles you should clearly hear the sidetone and maybe a little background hiss.

                      Run the CWGet software and connect the rig's speaker output to the computer's headset soundcard input.  I split the rig's speaker output to run an outboard speaker and the computer.  My computer's speaker will be muted, but you might like to hear your sidetone on the computer's speaker.  Try it a couple of ways.  You want the CWGet software to hear the transceiver's keyer sidetone when you close the paddles.  Send a series of dits or dahs and fine tune the software so it is sampling the sidetone from your radio.  You are all set.  Simple, yes?

                      Initially, set the keyer speed to around ten or twelve words per minute.  This gives you some good feedback and helps you find your rhythm.  You want to get used to squeezing the paddles together to send a character.  Try not to stab at the paddles to send a character.  You want to gently stroke the paddle.  Send a K or a C by lightly stroking or lightly squeezing.  Send a period or slant bar in a similar manner.  Then try sending a F without letting up the pressure on the dit side.  You can insert the dah between the dits.  It is fun!  Some folks will tell you there is an upper speed limit to squeeze keying but we are a long way away from thirty words per minute.  Take your time and get to the point where the software is following your keying accurately.  For example, if you send an A but the software sees an E and a T you know you need to squeeze and not stab.  A good sender will make this look effortless as they comfortably send the code.  There is no effort and amazingly little finger movement.  If you slap the paddles around the desktop you are not stroking the paddles.  Be gentle.

                      To adjust the paddles set the contacts just barely open.  Some operators want a wider gap on one side of the paddles, say the dah side.  Some old time hams will say this gap should be the thickness of a King of Clubs playing card.  You do not need to move the paddle a lot side to side to make the closure.  And make the tension as light as you can and still control the paddles.  Some folks will like more tension on one paddle.  I will make the left paddle the dit and the right paddle the dah.  The keyer can be reversed if your paddles are not wired that way.  Light touch and little movement will help you send code at upward of twenty words per minute effortlessly.  And increase your keyer speed as you get better at squeeze keying the characters.  Now sit back with a good book and send the book to the computer software.  Mix in a few numbers and after a while it will feel very comfortable.

                      There are nets where you can go to practice your Morse code, but to build some confidence, you probably only want to send the sidetone to the computer software.  When you get more comfortable, you can check into a net and sound like a pro.  Also, there is the FISTS Club (see www.fists.org) that can pair you with a code buddy.  Your code speed will improve with practice.  You will get lots more comfortable sending and receiving code with regular practice.  And remember a "Can Do It" attitude makes the process all the better.

                      Our club will be making outboard keyers as a project later in April.  Contact Tom, W8AMZ or Bill, AB8SC for details or to get on our participants list.  The whole purpose of the above exercise, and the keyer project, is to get us more comfortable with sending and receiving code.  Do these exercises to get you more comfortable with the code.  Do not try these exercises in an attempt to learn and then pass the Element One exam as a step toward your General license.  That process is entirely different as you are required to receive the code and sending code is not an option.

                      While I profess no proficiency with Morse code I still enjoy this mode.  My crutch is the CWGet software.  I probably have fifty countries confirmed using CW.  But I do not profess any proficiency or intimate comfortableness with code.  I like to write and provide some pointers.  I sincerely hope this material is helpful and that you become a more fluent code operator.

                      73 es dx de AB8SC

                    • Bill Fries
                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 5, 2006

                        All:

                        "Reprinted" from Flashovers:

                        We are pleased to announce a wonderful project for our ham radio members.  We are going to build a keyer that you can use to help you send Morse code through not only your HF radio, but you also will be able to use this project to send modulated CW on two meters FM.  What all does this mean?

                        You want to get more fluent with code.  To transmit code you will find some hardware useful.  Start with a set of paddles that interface to a keyer.  The keyer interfaces with your radio so a paddle closure generates a dit or dah in the radio.  The keyer is feature packed and along with six memories can be trained to help you learn iambic keying, learn six messages, and run a long time on mere milliamps of power.  You will also learn good soldering technique with small components by building this kit.

                        Tom, W8AMZ is hosting this fine seminar.  To help Tom with this project we will need a good count of participants.  We will also want to know what make and model of radio you will use with the keyer.  We are building this project to assist with the new code training net on two meters that we will use to learn sending and receiving code.  Expect that the project will cost about $30 for each keyer.  We will order the keyer, enclosure, switches, and rig interface plugs for each individual project.  You need to get your call sign on the list before the middle of April so we can make these keyers on April 22 at the clubhouse.  The event starts with basic soldering techniques at 9:00 am and then proceeds into the actual kit building.  After the day’s activities you will have a handy keyer with lots of function and fun for your use and enjoyment.