Re: [WestMichiganHams] [Fwd: Grounding of a Horizontal Antenna]

  • Al Pepping
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 29, 2006
      Can't avoid jumping in on this one........

      Several years ago AB8AZ did a presentation at MAARC on lightning protection.  I didn't realize at the time how complex the "grounding:" issue was.  Darrell sure opened my eyes and dispelled a plethora of "myths" concerning proper grounding.  I  highly recommend a book by the PolyPhaser Corporation entitled " The "grounds" for Lightning and EMP Protection".  It is available from AES and other ham distributors.  Money well spent.  (Maybe we can sweet talk Darrell into doing another MAARC presentation).

      Regarding the issue of grounding the horizontal antenna or leaving it "open", it is always best to "properly" ground it when not in use.  If for no other reason, NEC code  requires it.  If you make a claim to your insurance company for lightning damage, you can bet the adjuster will be looking for NEC non compliance issues to deny or reduce your claim.    SAFETY FIRST !!....and NEC  really does  have your safety in mind.........Al...KV8X