Re: [WestMichiganHams] Re: Were Don has been

  • Don Meyer
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 16, 2009
      Thank you ..... 73 Don

      Donald Meyer - KB8ODB
      Assistant Emergency Coordinator for Amateur Radio in Ottawa County
      e-mail:kb8odb@...

      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 16, 2009
        My condolances, Don.

        Also my thanks for creating the WMH reflector, you couldn't have come up with a better solution for the issue of the time and I am more than happy to moderate the group.

        Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 09:55
        Subject: [WestMichiganHams] Were Don has been

        Hello Everyone …. It is now over three years since I started West Michigan Hams and I would like to thank you all for your great post to our reflector.

        I also want to thank Mark – K8MHZ for his work as moderator.

        I apologize for not being more active this past year but my father has been in a loosing battle with cancer and family must come first. Most of the time we only post information on Silent Keys but I have a lot of friends here so I have attached information on my dad.I know some think I have been slipping a little but I have been here just lots on my mind.
        I am very proud of my father and thank you all for your patience.
        … 73 Don Meyer KB8ODB

        My Father ....

        Orie Hannas Meyer, age 87, of Ferrysburg passed away peacefully April 8, 2009, at the Hospice House of Heartwood Lodge in Spring Lake Township, surrounded by his family.

        He was born May 20, 1921, in Spring Lake Township to Louis and Christina (Wagen-maker) Meyer; and he married Eleanor Jean Hinkle on July 18, 1941, in Spring Lake.

        Orie retired from Dresser Industries in Muskegon and served in the United States Army during World War II. He was a volunteer fireman for the city of Ferrysburg for 27 years; served on the Ferrysburg Planning Commission for two terms; on the board of directors for the Senior Center in Grand Haven; on the board of directors for Nutritional Services for Oceana, Muskegon and Ottawa counties; was a life member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars; and was a loyal supporter of the American Legion. He also loved to hunt and fish. Foremost to Orie was his family.

        Survivors include his loving wife of 67 years, Eleanor; three sons: Norman (Susan) Meyer of Spring Lake Township, Donald (Berta) Meyer of Ferrysburg and Jack (Debbie) Meyer of Grand Haven; five grandchildren; seven great-grandchildren ; a sister, Joyce (Marsh) Currie of Idaho; a brother, Melvin (Jan) Meyer of Grand Haven; a brother-in-law, Glen Hinkle of Florida; sisters-in-law, Ardean Meyer of Grand Haven Township and June Meyer of Ferrysburg; and many special nieces and nephews.

        Orie was preceded in death by his daughter, Carol Jean Meyer; and two brothers, Lewis Meyer Jr. and Harold Meyer.

        A celebration of Orie's life will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday, April 18, 2009, at VanZantwick Bartels Kammeraad Funeral Home in Grand Haven with Pastor Terry Fulk officiating. The family will greet family and friends Friday, April 17, 2009, from 6-9 p.m. at the funeral home. Military rites will be provided by the VFW Sgt. Alvin Jonker Post 2326 and the American Legion Charles A. Conklin Post 28.

        The family appreciates your continued prayers and support, and requests memorials in honor of Orie be made to Hospice of North Ottawa Community or Veterans of Foreign Wars Sgt. Alvin Jonker Post 2326 or the American Legion Charles A. Conklin Post 28.

        Please visit www.vbkfuneralhome. com to sign Orie's online guest book or share a memory with the family.

        Checked by AVG.
      • Bill
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 18, 2009
          Don:

          Sad news. I, too, send condolences to both you and your family. It's got to be tough to lose a father.

          And thanks for being instrumental in sustaining this group.

          73

          Bill, NA8M