Forest Clean-up communications THIS SATURDAY

  • Jack Amelar
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 15, 2009
      Forest Cleanup communications

      Yes, me again. THIS SATURDAY, April 18. I had all positions filled with
      one extra, then suddenly, cancellations :( I need just O N E M O R E
      volunteer. Come on Lakeshore people, I have one Muskegon volunteer,
      everyone else is from the GR area!
      You can take your choice. Be in a VIP vehicle, vehicle, driver, and
      passengers supplied. Or you can be at a collection point, your everyday
      street vehicle will have no problem getting there. ItÂ’s the other 250+
      (non-radio) volunteers that will be driving down the two tracks with
      their pick-up trucks and trailers picking up trash. We support
      communications for them and the event organizers.

      So call me NOW, we need to show we as ham radio operators are willing
      to support such a cause.

      Here is a recent Q&A I responded to:

      1) Does everyone need to have a truck or trailer?
      - NO! Just what you normally drive.
      The VIP vehicles and Photographer are already supplied with a driver.
      Just need a radio operator with a mobile or HT 2 meter and external
      magnet mount antenna.
      The collection sites are located where any street vehicle can get to,
      otherwise the 30 or 40 yard dumpsters couldn't be brought in.
      The 250 or so other volunteers come with trailers, trucks, jeeps, etc.
      and run around in the woods on the two tracks seeking and collecting
      trash. Our job is to keep a line of communications open.

      2) Does everyone need an amateur radio license?
      - Anyone involved with radio communications. Family members and friends
      are certainly welcome to tag along (not in the VIP vehicles) and join
      the lunch, etc.

      3) Where do you plan on meeting and at what time?
      - At the CarGo Gas station in Twin Lake, Hwy M-120 north of Muskegon.
      7:30 AM preferred, but no later than 8:30AM. Shortly after 9, disperse
      to assignments.
      I will actually be at the CarGo Friday evening in my motorhome.

      4) How long is the event expected to last?
      - Meet at Blue Lake County Park for lunch about 1-1:30, then enjoy the
      rest of the day.

      5) What frequencies will be used for talk in?
      The Muskegon County ECS repeater 146.82-(94.8Hz). If necessary, 147.42
      simplex.

      6) Which frequencies will be used for the event?
      Same repeater.

      *) Sorry if you have already answered the above, if you did this is an
      opportunity to get it in front of the masses again.
      And I'm using it.

      If you have any other questions, CALL ME!
      Time is running out, call the cell listed below.

      73 Jack NY8D

      Jack Amelar
      1554 Lincoln Lake Ave NE
      Lowell, MI 49331-9711