Re: [WestMichiganHams] Appeal for Amateur Radio communications help

  • mapscenes@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 12, 2009
      Dear friend.  I hear your appeal, and wish I could help.  I commit to helping in the future.

      I ride motorcycle with the PGR (Patriot Guard Riders), and on 18 Apr over in Ionia there is a Memorial Tribute to a fallen soldier, of which I must participate.

      I know, as just one Ham radio operator, nearly every weekend could be taken up on this or that project with various groups.  I wish you success if getting the necessary 'numbers' to satisfy the groups needs.

      Until the next time ...

      ... respectfully,  73!!

      K8MIC
      Muskegon, MI

      In a message dated 4/11/2009 11:19:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, jamelar@... writes:

      PRIORITY APPEAL

      I have been reaching out to Muskegon area hams to help with
      communications for Saturday's Forest Clean up in the Manistee National
      Forest area in Northern Muskegon and Southern Oceana Counties. I'm
      sorry to have to say the response so far has been zip, zilch, zero,
      nada! I have some help from some Kent County hams and one from Ottawa
      County, Jenison, which is really a Grand Rapids suburb. So at this
      point do I do the begging or the guilt trip? I think I'll do the guilt
      trip :)

      I would hope the readers of this appeal would agree with me providing
      communications to those cleaning the trash out of our forests is a
      project worthy of our resources, and that part 97 "to provide a public
      service" is more than printed words.
      Is the reason of no response is "it's not MY CLUB doing this"? Please,
      does it really matter? If your club wants to be a sponsor, that's fine
      with me.
      Or maybe it's because nobody along the lakeshore area knows who I am?
      OK, I'm Jack NY8D. I got a novice license in 1972 while in high school.
      I've had my extra class license for over 20 years. I have been the ham
      radio communications director for the National 24 Hour (bicycle)
      Challenge http://www.n24hc. org every June in Barry County for probably
      10 years now, and volunteer for other events that others coordinate,
      including the Fith Third River Bank Run. I am a member of the ARRL,
      Lowell ARA, and Grand Rapids ARA. If you want to know more, give me a
      shout.
      I get far better response from Barry County hams than from Muskegon for
      which there are far more hams in.
      Maybe you're new to communication volunteering. GREAT! The forest
      cleanup is the perfect event to start. New at this or an old hat, if
      you've been sitting on the fence waiting for others to fill in, then
      you need to get off the fence, 'cause the others ain't doin' it!

      When I was asked to head this task, I was confident it wouldn't be a
      problem. It would be a great opportunity to demonstrate to the public
      as well as elected officials from state, county, and local governments,
      who will be observing, the usefulness of Amateur Radio. I know the hams
      working to bring the FCC Federal PRB-1 into state law would be
      disappointed if we dropped the ball on this in front of the State
      Representatives and Senators. AT THIS POINT, I'M NOT BACKING OUT! If I
      don't get the help I need, and I really don't need very many people,
      this will be not be a good demonstration of Amateur Radio public
      service.

      The following is what was originally sent, please read it again, and
      let me hear from you.

      73 Jack NY8D
      ------------ -

      COMMUNICATIONS VOLUNTEERS NEEDED

      On Saturday April 18, the Two Trackers http://www.twotrack ers.org will
      be sponsoring the 11th annual Forest Cleanup in the Manistee National
      Forest area and other public lands. Last year, over 250 volunteers
      showed up with pick-up trucks and trailers to clean out trash and tires
      that gets dumped. More details and trash statistics at
      http://www.twotrack ers.org/events Not only does this event bring
      notice to the Forest Service to the "tread lightly" motorized
      recreation community, A NUMBER OF STATE LEGISLATURES were on hand last
      year to observe, MANY OF WHICH PLAN TO PARTICIPATE THIS YEAR to
      actually get out and get dirty with the rest of us. Note, with the
      Michigan PRB-1 committee working to bring the FCC's PRB-1 ruling into
      Michigan law, http://www.prb1mich igan.org it will be helpful to make a
      good impression on our state legislatures what ham radio volunteers do,
      and let's face it, helping with keeping our public lands clean is
      definitely an event worthy of our time.

      Anyway, with this event getting larger and including VIPs,
      communications become more important. The organizers have discovered
      that cell phones and CBs don't do so well in the woods. That's where
      the "to provide a public service" part of amateur radio comes in. Being
      a member of the Two Trackers, being involved for the past few years
      picking up and hauling trash, and being a ham operator, I was
      approached to organize communications. Since I'm familiar with the
      cleanup operations and have a few years experience with ham radio event
      communications, I volunteered to organize and operate ground zero / net
      control.

      We'll need radio volunteers at 3 collection sites with-in the forest
      area, with the 2 political tour vehicles, and photographer. The
      vehicles are supplied with a driver, the ham volunteer would have to
      bring a magnet mount antenna.

      The event starts in Twin Lake at the CarGo gas station on Hwy M-120.
      Registration at 8AM (radio volunteers will have our own registration) ,
      volunteers sent out in the field at 9. Rolls, coffee, and volunteer
      "communications" shirts provided to those who volunteer early enough
      that I can forward sizes to the shirt printer. Hot dog lunch provided
      at about 1PM. After volunteers move into the field, ground zero will
      move from the CarGo station to where lunch will be served, location not
      finalized as of this writing. After lunch, those who want to help wrap
      up the event are welcome to, other wise done for the day.
      An event flier can be viewed at
      http://www.twotrack ers.org/wp- content/uploads/ 2009/03/clean- up-flyer- 1.pdf

      We will use the Muskegon County Emergency Service 146.82(94.8Hz) 2M
      repeater. My contact information is in my signature. TIA.

      73 Jack NY8D

      Jack Amelar
      1554 Lincoln Lake Ave NE
      Lowell, MI 49331-9711
      Home: (616)897-6885
      Office: (616)493-8736
      Cell: (616)318-4551 (Nextel 130*719*68)
      E-mail: mailto:jamelar@localnet. com

      Feeling the pinch at the grocery store? Make dinner for $10 or less.
    • Jim KC8PCJ
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 12, 2009
        I was hoping to help, but it is my anniversary and we will be out of town. It does sound like it would be fun. I hope to help next time.

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 12, 2009
          Hi Jack,I wish I could help.I'm disabled,(left knee,right hip,and both arms).I work weekends delivering Paw Paw Flashes.I've got 3 routes and deliver 1 1/3 on Saturday.I leave abt 4:am and don't get in until abt 9:pm.On Sunday I leave abt 4:am and don't get home until abt 1:pm,just walked in from my last route.I'm very sorry.I hope you get the help you need.
           73,Bob,,,n8xlx

          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 12, 2009
            Hello Jack,

            I may be able to come up with a trailer and would love to help with photography.

            I just skimmed the request, sorry, but would like to ask some questions.

            1)  Does everyone need to have a truck or trailer?

            2)  Does everyone need an amateur radio license?

            3)  Where do you plan on meeting and at what time?

            4)  How long is the event expected to last?

            5)  What frequencies will be used for talk in?

            6)  Which frequencies will be used for the event?

            Sorry if you have already answered the above, if you did this is an oportunity to get it in front of the masses again.