Tulip Time Festival 2009

  • Steve Vanderhill
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3 2:26 PM

      Hello, it might not feel like Spring is just around the corner especially based on the snowy forecast for this coming Sunday & Monday but within less than a month the 2009 Tulip Time Festival will be in progress.  As in the past the Amateur Radio Operators and the American Red Cross will be providing support along the parade routes during the three Tulip Time parades.

      The first parade (Volksparade) is scheduled for Wednesday, May 6, which we will need twelve Amateur Radio Operators to work as a Team with two American Red Cross First Aid Responders in covering a one block section of the parade route.  Along with two Net Control Operators, we will need a total of fourteen Amateur Radio Operators, during the time frame of approximately Noon until 3:30pm.  Currently we have seven who have volunteered therefore we need seven more.

      The second parade (Kinderparade) is scheduled for Thursday, May 7, which we will need the same number of Amateur Radio Operators as the Wednesday parade, during the same approximate time frame. The rain date for this parade will be Friday, May 8.  Currently we have seven who have volunteered therefore we need seven more.

      The third, the largest, and the longest parade (Muziekparade) is schedule for Saturday, May 9, which we will need twenty-four Amateur Radio Operators to cover a one-block section of the expanded parade route, along with two-three Net Control Operators. Also during this parade we need packet radio stations setup and operating at the American Red Cross Tulip Time Headquarters, Holland High School , and at Net Control.  Currently we have ten who have volunteered therefore we need sixteen more.

      As one can see, this is large operation in which one Club or Group cannot handle on their own. Please we need your help in getting the word out to all area Amateur Radio Operators of this need. Many have done this festival for years and have their favorite spots to serve. If you are willing to serve, and have a favorite spot, please let me know I will to my best to assign you to that specific position. For those that are new to the hobby or those that have sat on the sidelines in the past years, please consider giving it a try. It is fun, and is a great way to brush up on your net operating procedures while providing a highly visible community service.

      If you're interested in volunteering, please provide me with you full name, call sign, physical limitations or special needs, contact phone number, email address, and any special assignments you would like to cover.

      Thank you in advance!

      Best regards,

      Steve Vander Hill - N8UJD