A day in the woods, communication volunteers needed.

  • Jack Amelar
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 2, 2009
      **Please forward this message on the various Lakeshore area e-mail
      reflectors. Thanks!**

      On Saturday April 18, the Two Trackers http://www.twotrackers.org will
      be sponsoring the 11th annual Forest Cleanup in the Manistee National
      Forest area and other public lands. Last year, over 250 volunteers
      showed up with pick-up trucks and trailers to clean out trash and tires
      that gets dumped. More details and trash statistics at
      http://www.twotrackers.org/events Not only does this event bring
      notice to the Forest Service to the "tread lightly" motorized
      recreation community, A NUMBER OF STATE LEGISLATURES were on hand last
      actually get out and get dirty with the rest of us. Note, with the
      Michigan PRB-1 committee working to bring the FCC's PRB-1 ruling into
      Michigan law, http://www.prb1michigan.org it will be helpful to make a
      good impression on our state legislatures what ham radio volunteers do.

      Anyway, with this event getting larger and including VIPs,
      communications become more important. The organizers have discovered
      that cell phones and CBs don't do so well in the woods. That's where
      the "to provide a public service" part of amateur radio comes in. Being
      a member of the Two Trackers, being involved for the past few years
      picking up and hauling trash, and being a ham operator, I was
      approached to organize communications. Since I'm familiar with the
      cleanup operations and have a few years experience with ham radio event
      communications, I volunteered to organize and operate ground zero / net

      We'll need radio volunteers at 3 dumpster sites with-in the forest
      area, with the political tour vehicles, the coordinator(s), and
      photographer. Additional radio assignments may be needed.

      The event starts in Twin Lake at the CarGo gas station on Hwy M-120.
      Registration at 8AM (radio volunteers will have our own registration),
      volunteers sent out in the field at 9. Rolls, coffee, and volunteer
      "communications" shirts provided to those who volunteer early enough
      that I can forward sizes to the shirt printer. Hot dog lunch provided
      at about 1PM. After volunteers move into the field, ground zero will
      move from the CarGo station to where lunch will be served, location not
      finalized as of this writing. After lunch, those who want to help wrap
      up the event are welcome to, other wise done for the day.
      An event flier can be viewed at

      We will use the Muskegon County Emergency Service 146.82(94.8Hz) 2M
      repeater. My contact information is in my signature. TIA.

      73 Jack NY8D
      Jack Amelar
      1554 Lincoln Lake Ave NE
      Lowell, MI 49331-9711