Fwd: ARLS009 ARISS Finalizes Plans for Silver Anniversary of Amateur Radio from Space

  • Mark Thompson
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2008

      SB SPACE @ ARL $ARLS009
      ARLS009 ARISS Finalizes Plans for Silver Anniversary of Amateur
      Radio from Space

      ZCZC AS09
      QST de W1AW
      Space Bulletin 009  ARLS009
      From ARRL Headquarters
      Newington, CT  December 18, 2008
      To all radio amateurs

      SB SPACE ARL ARLS009
      ARLS009 ARISS Finalizes Plans for Silver Anniversary of Amateur
      Radio from Space

      The Amateur Radio on the International Space Station (ARISS) team is
      currently celebrating the silver anniversary -- 25 years -- of
      Amateur Radio operations from space. According to ARISS
      International Chairman Frank Bauer, KA3HDO, the crew on the
      International Space Station (ISS) has configured the radio to
      support cross-band repeater operations. They have also supported
      some SSTV downlinks and participated in a special test of 9600 baud
      packet radio operations on the simplex frequency of 145.825 MHz.
      After December 19, Bauer said he expects the ISS ham radio system to
      be on the 145.825 MHz frequency supporting 1200 baud packet. If
      PCSAT is configured during the week, he said double hop APRS is
      possible.

      "During the week of December 21-26, we plan to support the
      cross-band repeater mode with a twist," Bauer said. "Our intent is
      to configure the radio for 145.99 MHz uplink -- including CTCSS tone
      of 67.0 and 437.80 MHz down. This will be performed in low power
      mode. We should also note that an extra-vehicular activity (EVA) is
      planned for that week -- Expedition 18 Commander Mike Fincke,
      KE5AIT, and Flight Engineer Yury Lonchakov, RA3DT, plan to perform a
      spacewalk on December 22. As per standard procedure, the ISS ham
      radio system will be turned off for the EVA."

      Bauer said that from December 28-January 3, the cross-band repeater
      will be reconfigured for what he called "a special experiment. This
      will be a test of our L-Band uplink capability, which, to date, has
      not been proven out. Plan for an uplink of 1269.65 MHz and a
      downlink on the standard frequency of 145.80 MHz, using low power,"
      he said. "Given the substantial cable losses of the L-band system,
      we hope some 'big guns' are able to penetrate through, keep up with
      Doppler and make the connection."

      A special certificate is being developed for those who communicate
      with the ISS from November 30, 2008 to January 15, 2009. This
      certificate will be awarded to those who have had two-way
      communications with the ISS on voice, packet (APRS) or through the
      voice repeater. Those who hear the ISS from space in any of the
      ARISS operations modes -- voice, SSTV, school contact, voice
      repeater or digital - will also be eligible to receive a
      certificate.

      To receive the certificate, Bauer said to note the ARISS mode of
      operation (such as SSTV, voice or school) on your QSL and whether
      the contact was one-way (receive only) or two-way. "You should send
      your self-addressed, stamped envelope to the normal ARISS QSL
      volunteer distributor in your area of the world," he explained. "On
      the outside of the QSL envelope, please include the words '25th
      Anniversary Certificate.' Make sure your envelope is big enough to
      accept an 8.5 x 11 inch certificate and includes the proper
      postage."

      If you do not know where to send your QSL, check the ARISS Web site
      to find the one that serves your part of the world.

      "We will be sending your certificate to the volunteer distributors
      in bulk after the event is over," Bauer said. "This saves workload
      and money. So do not expect to see it until 1-2 months after the
      event closes on January 15." Bauer reminded hams that due to ISS
      flight requirements related to spacewalks and vehicle activity, the
      radio onboard the ISS may be off for some portion of this schedule.
      School contacts and general QSO opportunities by the crew will also
      preempt this schedule for short periods of time. "But remember that
      if you hear these," he said, "you still qualify for a commemorative
      certificate. Enjoy the ARISS ops on ISS!"
      NNNN
      /EX