Re: VHF Homebrew Antenna questions.

  • Jason B
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 25, 2008
      Hello again all,

      I just wanted to thank everyone for the interesting conversation and
      ideas. It never ceases to amaze me how much knowledge there is in our
      ‘little hobby’. I was hoping that my question would stimulate some
      conversation and it sure did.

      Out of the suggestions that I got, I think I’m leaning toward building
      the twin lead j-pole, and as soon as I can pick up some twin lead and
      get the time. I was even offered a copper-cactus style j-pole that I
      think I’m going to get and put up for a more permanent solution, but
      that’s not going to stop me from building and playing.

      Some of the suggestions I got involved just hanging an antenna from the
      ceiling or taping it to the wall inside the house, unfortunately I
      practically live in a Faraday-cage. I have an older mobile home, and my
      cordless phone barely works through the walls. I have a mag-mount 5/8’s
      wave that I was playing with inside, but I couldn’t even hit the closest
      repeater with 45 watts. So, I'm definitely looking at the outdoor option.

      I’m wondering if anyone in the Muskegon club would be interested in
      setting up an antenna build night or something at the clubhouse? Maybe
      along the lines of a pot luck. Bring in any kind of bits or misc parts
      that you’d be willing to share and donate to the pile. Or, if you don’t
      have any parts, maybe chip in a couple bucks or something and just play
      antenna builder for the night. Expertise can be shared, spare parts can
      be shared, and maybe have a couple of antenna analyzers or something on
      hand to help tune them up for the folks that don’t regularly have access
      to such equip? I think the benefits of such an event would be worth it.
      Plus you’d come away with an antenna or two, if everyone donated some
      bits to the pile.

      Sounds like you guys down in Holland are already brewing something
      similar. If it wasn’t for the unpredictable weather and my odd work
      schedule I’d come join you.

      Anyway, enough QRM from my keyboard lol.

      Thanx for listening and thank you to all that replied.

      73
      Jason
      KI4VUO