Fw: ARISS SCHEDULE/INFO UPDATE

  • Mark Thompson
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2008

      ----- Forwarded Message ----
      From: John <yp671@...>
      Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2008 9:04:00 PM
      Subject: ARISS SCHEDULE/INFO UPDATE

      Forwarded from ARISS:

      All,

      It was quite an exciting day for ARISS yesterday with the Expedition
      18 crew docking and the start up of Richard Garriott's ham radio
      activities.  Here are some updates and plans for ARISS during
      Richard's flight.

      Richard, W5KWQ, fired up the radio and started SSTV operations just a
      couple of hours after docking.  Richard planned to support a slide
      show mode using the SpaceCam software and the SSTV interface box at
      the beginning of his flight, which is what you saw yesterday.  A
      number of the images were sent down using Martin 1, a higher quality
      but longer transmit SSTV mode.  The Russian team, led by Sergey
      Samburov, RV3DR, had requested testing several high quality image
      modes during Richard's flight, so don't be surprised if you see Martin
      1 or other high resolution SSTV modes during Richard's flight.  We
      have asked Richard to move to the default Robot 36 mode for the time
      being and to space out the images once every 3 minutes to reduce the
      radio transmit duty cycle.  Richard confirmed that he will support
      this.  He also has transitioned to the VC-H1 as this will allow
      Richard to use the computer to support his Earth ops and still support
      SSTV.

      We have had a number of image uploads on the Gallery site by hams all
      around the world.  The ARISS team appreciates your volunteer support
      through all the SSTV images that have been uploaded.  A volunteer
      ARISS team is working 24/7 during Richard's flight to review these
      images, to understand how the SSTV operations is progressing, and to
      include some of these images on the Gallery pages.  ALL the images you
      have uploaded have been archived and are being reviewed.  Please
      continue to upload these images as they help the ARISS team analyze
      and redirect the SSTV operations.  You are welome to upload these
      through the gallery page:

      http://www.amsat.com/ARISS_SSTV/

      We also have a blog available that provides the latest ARISS
      information for this expedition.  That blog is located at:

      http://www.ariss-sstv.blogspot.com/

      You can also reach these sites through the ARISS website:

      http:/www.ariss.org

      Some other information:

      SSTV uplink/downlink:  Richard is really not supporting SSTV uplinks
      during his short duration mission.  The downlink is on the normal
      ARISS VHF downlink, 145.80.

      General Voice Contacts:  Use the regular general voice frequencies.
      145.80 downlink.  Uplinks are 144.49 in Region 2 (Americas) and 145.20
      for Region 1 (Europe, Africa, Middle East) and Region 3 (Australia,
      Asia).  Richard and Mike Fincke, KE5AIT, have been on the air on voice
      since shortly after docking yesterday.

      Sleep Period Activity:  We have asked the crew to turn packet on
      during sleep periods.  Our intent is to keep SSTV active during their
      work day.  The rationale for this is that we are having some issues
      with the software based (SpaceCam) SSTV system occasionally keeping
      the radio keyed down after an image transmission.  And we have a
      limited set of Russian batteries available during Richard's flight for
      the VC-H1.

      You are witnessing and are a part of history:  Some of you have asked
      why Richard is using his callsign for some QSOs and SSTV contacts
      instead of the ISS station callsigns.  There is a long and proud
      history that is attached to the Garriotts.  This includes ham radio in
      space and their personal callsigns.  25 years ago, Richard's father,
      Owen Garriott, W5LFL, initiated the first ham radio contacts from
      space on the STS-9 SAREX mission.  Richard, W5KWQ, is following in his
      father's footsteps, using the ARISS ham radio system extensively on
      his first flight.  And Richard's callsign is actually his
      grandfather's original callsign.  So you can see that this mission
      touches 3 generations of ham radio and 2 generations of ham radio in
      space!

      School Contacts:  School contacts from this day forward are
      tentatively scheduled as follows:

      Challenger Learning Center Combined Contact #1, telebridge via W6SRJ;
      on Thu 2008-10-16 16:39 UTC
      Howard B. Owens Science Center's Challenger Center (Lanham, MD)
      Challenger Learning Center of Columbia (Columbia, SC) Verizon
      Challenger Learning Center at MOSI (Tampa, FL) Brownsburg Challenger
      Learning Center (Brownsburg, IN)

      Budbrooke Primary School, Warwick, England, direct via GB4OBS Fri

      Challenger Learning Center Combined Contact #2, telebridge via W6SRJ;
      on Fri 2008-10-17 15:30 UTC
      Indianapolis Challenger Learning Center (Indianapolis, IN) Challenger
      Learning Center at Paducah (Paducah, KY) Challenger Learning Center
      St. Louis (St. Louis, MO)

      Austin Liberal Arts and Sciences Academy, Austin, TX, direct via K5LBJ
      Sun 2008-10-19 13:14 UTC

      Pinehurst School, Ashland, Oregon, telebridge via W6SRJ Mon 2008-10-20
      15:13 UTC

      National Planetarium, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, direct via 9M2RPN Tues

      Enjoy the ARISS operations.  And my thanks to the international ARISS
      team for their outstanding volunteer support.

      73,  Frank Bauer, KA3HDO
      AMSAT-NA V.P. for Human Spaceflight Programs
      ARISS International Chairman